So What Happened? Where did this passion for animals come from? So the Journey begins with honestly trying to answer the following question, "Is there anything wrong with elephant riding?" and How about Painting Elephants?


Advertisement
Asia » Thailand
December 21st 2007
Published: December 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

That is an Excellent Question, and to answer, I must refer to the impact a travel log through Lonely Planet had on me. The Universe's mysterious power to lead us in the directions it does continues to amaze me. So the story goes: I used the name ShivaFan, and logged in to help me plan for my upcoming trip in January 2008. Someone asked if there was anything wrong with taking elephant rides, and as... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

All lined up for another showAll lined up for another show
All lined up for another show

Second show of the day...they were getting ready to enter the arena where another group of tourists were waiting. Some of these camps do as many as three or four performances a day. That's a lot when you consider what they are expected to do, and the energy it takes to learn their performances.
Baby Love?Baby Love?
Baby Love?

I wondered if they were related, as the older one was very determined to interact and be as close as possible to the littlest one.
Tell me about our life?Tell me about our life?
Tell me about our life?

Head Scarring already? We were told that little elephants are very difficult to train, as we asked why the younger ones of this age were separated from the others. I never thought to ask the most important questions... how do you train your young elephants here?
The lone orangutanThe lone orangutan
The lone orangutan

He was on a little island at the Chiang Mai Zoo. He did a roll for us, then waved at us sadly with a little branch he picked up. He looked very lonely. It just didn't seem right to keep such a beautiful being by himself.
A roadshow monkeyA roadshow monkey
A roadshow monkey

We were driving around the island of Koh Samui, and stopped to see this little monkey.
Shame on me...Shame on me...
Shame on me...

By stopping to see this little monkey, and paying money to his owner... I supported his captivity. Notice this is a small and cute monkey... once he is older and possibly meaner... then what?



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb