Our journey continues


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
October 29th 2007
Published: November 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Across the border into Thailand we go and catch the overnight train to Bangkok. It's a great setup. Each carriage has a porter/maid who converts your seat into a bed when you are ready, with mattress, pillows, sheets and all. We order 'room service' and are served the most delicious thai food and of course Singha beer to accompany it. The UK could certainly learn alot from this. 12 hours later we arrive into Bangkok, its 7am in the morning. With 12 hours to kill until we meet Humphrey's brother and his family, what else to do in Bangkok but SHOP!!! Amazing how time flies when you're having fun and before we know it we are jumping into a taxi to get to the airport. Humphrey is so excited to meet up with his family again, the anticipation is killing him. It is also the first time to meet his little nephew. Straight off one plane and lot's of hugs later, we are now on a plane to Phuket. Arrive into Phuket around midnight and spend one night in a hotel close to the airport. With the sun shining we spend the following morning by the hotel pool catching up before we head off to catch the ferry to Phi Phi Islands and to the Phi Phi Village Island Resort. A ferry, a long tail boat and a tractor (yes you read correctly) we reach this haven of luxury and tranquility overlooking the clear aqua green Andaman Sea. Wow!!! We spend the next 4 days relaxing, swimming and just lazing around sharing our travelling tales and our plans for the future! Humphrey is in his element building sandcastles with his little niece on the beach and entertaining her in the water. Meanwhile Harold has taken to catch as many crabs as possible on the beach. I'm not quite sure if this was for Isabel's pleasure or his own!!!!! Our time together is too short we are already packing and leaving this idyllic island behind. We say our emotional farewells at the airport, how sad, but with amazing memories we are so pleased they made all that effort from Tokyo to join us for 5 days.

Humphrey and I now in Phuket have arranged to meet up with my Thai friends that I met on my holiday last year. We spend a great evening together sampling all the delights of the vegetarian festival that is happening in Phuket at this time.The town is jumping, the atmosphere amazing. Humphrey and I are in our element. We then head to a bar with a live band playing and yet again our Thai friends order more food. Honestly Humphrey and I were about to burst!! The following morning Nok heads off to work and Chai takes us watch the 'vegetarian parade', one of the aspects of the festival. I'm imaging a Thai themed parade with brightly coloured Thai themed floats with Thai dancers ,maybe some elephants, you know that kind of thing. Oh my goodness, instead it is a gruesome ceremony. Men and women have punctured their cheeks with various items including knives, skewers, plastic guns, fruits, boats, you name it. (It is believed that the Chinese gods will protect such persons from harm and little blood or scarring results from such mutilation acts.) Humphrey and I are aghast. I keep calling out 'oh my god' 'oh my god' so we promptly leave so as not to offend anyone. It is horrendous.

With 4 nights left of our trip, we decide to spend it relaxing on a beach in Railay Island, Krabi. With sheer limestone cliffs, pure white sand and emerald waters it makes for a perfect way to end our trip. We pass our days eating fresh corn on the cob on the beach, swimming, snorkelling, playing frisbee, not to mention the odd massage on the beach!! Pinch us, is this for real?? With these lasting memories we catch a flight back to Bangkok and onwards to Bangalore.

What an amazing way to spend 10 weeks of our life. How lucky we both are. Thankfully for Humphrey and I this is not the end of our journeys together. Humphrey has asked me to marry him and I have said yes!!! We plan to get married in India in April 2008 followed by a party in Scotland. What a way to end our wonderful trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



4th November 2007

hi
It was great to see and speak to you both on messenger today, it will be nice to see you next week when you gert back. now you will have 5 weeks at home before your off to bangalore again and you will have a lot of planning to do for your wedding. see you soon aunty pamela, remember i have never been a bridesmaid ha ha ha!!!!!!!
5th November 2007

Congrats
Well done Susan, you got him to do the deed before he met the Aunties! Great news, we wish you both all the best. And well done to Humphry, you've bagged a keeper there. Is Humphry really ready to meet the family? Perhaps you should shelter him for a wee while, poor man.....
5th November 2007

Congratulations
Fab news that you are getting married! So happy for you both. Lots of love and hugs Annie P x
6th November 2007

CONGRADULATIONS x
Oh, suzy loo, Humphrey... I am so so so happy for you both, actually, i am a wee bit greety, :) May God pour his blessings on both of you, its magnificent news and I cant wait to catch you both in the future! with much much love, cousin Fi n wee Joe xxxxxxx
6th November 2007

Congratulations- get the saris out!
Congratulations to you both. I'm not surprised though! Thank you for sharing your journey with me. It's helped me get through some bad days in the office! I'll fill you in on Morocco when you get back! I get back at Christmas so curry time then! All my love to both of you Jacqui xxxxxx
12th November 2007

Congratulations
Congratulations Susan and Humphrey, I'm so pleased for you both - you've a lot of planning to do Susan !! I've really enjoyed the blog, thanks for sharing it with me. Love Rosie
13th November 2007

Congrats
From your big cousin Audrey. Many contratulations and best wishes to you both. Enjoy the rest of your journey and then start saving like a mad wummmin!!! Love Aud

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb