Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
March 16th 2007
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

"The Beach" - Koh Phi Phi"The Beach" - Koh Phi Phi"The Beach" - Koh Phi Phi

Pen surrounded by a huge school of fish between the 2 boats.

Krabi


We crossed over the border into Southern Thailand on the train. We were a little nervous as there has been alot of unrest in the area, so we were very aware of unattended baggage!

We arrived in Hat Yai safely and took a mini bus to Krabi. This was the worst journey we have had to date as we were crushed into the van and driven at near death speeds on roads that were officially 2 lane but were used as 3!

We took a long tail boat to Railey beach and spent the day relaxing on our lilo and just chilling. We met Camilla Todd and her friends Nicky and Tarryn at Raleigh beach, it was so weird to bump into her as it wasn't at all planned. We arranged to meet up again on Koh Phi Phi the next day.

Koh Phi Phi


We took a boat from Krabi to Kho Phi Phi which took about an hour and a half. Phi Phi is full of tourists and very busy and dirty as they are still rebuilding following the Tsunami. We spent a good hour walking around in the heat of the day trying to
Cliff Jumping - Koh Phi PhiCliff Jumping - Koh Phi PhiCliff Jumping - Koh Phi Phi

Not as high as Hawaii but still cool!
find a place to stay. We eventually settled with a place for the night but it wasn't great.

We then took a walk towards long beach and on our way found a very cute resort just before Long Beach called Viking Resort. The Thai lady who showed us the bungalows was so polite and kept bowing, smiling and washing our feet. We decided we'd stay there for the next 2 nights. We met up with Camilla & co. in the evening and planned our next day's diving.

We dived at 2 sights off Kho Phi Phi Lay Island. It was a very different type of diving to the diving we had experienced in Cairns. The visability wasn't great but we saw some cool things. We surfaced inside a cave on the one dive which was very scarey but amazing. We are glad we dived so soon after our course as everything was still fresh in our minds.

The next day we hired a long tail boat with Camilla & co and took a trip around Phi Phi Leh to Maya Bay... "The Beach". When we arrived it was early and there were only one or two other
Long Tail Boat - Koh Phi PhiLong Tail Boat - Koh Phi PhiLong Tail Boat - Koh Phi Phi

Looks peaceful in the photo but the engines on these things sound like machine guns!
long tail boats on the beach. As the morning progressed the bay became more and more busy with large boats arriving with loads of tourists.

Koh Pha Ngan


This was probably our favourite place in Thailand. It had a relaxed island feel to it and people weren't constantly harrassing you or trying to rip you off.

We hired scooters and despite a puncture on day 1 found them ideal for buzzing around the island.

There was a lot of hamock and reading time as well as some kitesurfing and snorkelling.


Koh Tao


A short catamaran ride from Koh Pha Ngan and we were on this much smaller island. We didn't dive here but spent 2 days snorkelling at some amazing spots. The visibility was great and there were SO many fish. At Shark Bay we had a late afternoon encounter with 7 Black Tipped Reef Sharks!

Hua Hin


Not really on the Backpackers trail but we stopped here because the wind blows every afternoon and Dave was keen to spend a couple of days kitesurfing. This plan was soon foiled by a large jelly fish as Dave was stung on both legs at the
Friends ReunitedFriends ReunitedFriends Reunited

We bumped into Camilla, a friend from London by chance on Railey Beach, Krabi. And spent 3 days with her, Tarryn and Nicky on Phi Phi.
end of his 1st day on the water! The pictures tell the story!

Bangkok


We paid 60p each for a 4 hour train trip up to Bangkok. It was nothing fancy and they packed us in but we enjoyed travelling with locals. We stayed a couple of nights near Siam Sq in the heart of Bangkok and spent the days visiting the Grand Palace and the Wats. We took a pretty exciting canal ride which is the quickest transport for the locals living along or near these canals.






Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Scuba diving Koh Phi PhiScuba diving Koh Phi Phi
Scuba diving Koh Phi Phi

We did 2 great dives off Phi Phi Leh island with Nicky.
"The Beach" - Koh Phi Phi"The Beach" - Koh Phi Phi
"The Beach" - Koh Phi Phi

We were one of the 1st to arrive on the beach but by the time we left it was like Durban on Christmas day!
Bungalow - Koh Phi PhiBungalow - Koh Phi Phi
Bungalow - Koh Phi Phi

We stayed in these cool wooden bungalows - everything was old Thai style and service with a smile!
Backpacking Thailand StyleBackpacking Thailand Style
Backpacking Thailand Style

Managed to get a puncture on this day!
Drying Cuttle Fish - Koh Pha NganDrying Cuttle Fish - Koh Pha Ngan
Drying Cuttle Fish - Koh Pha Ngan

Every night hundereds of boats can be seen off shore fishing for cuttle fish etc.
Kite surfing - Koh Pha NganKite surfing - Koh Pha Ngan
Kite surfing - Koh Pha Ngan

Dave getting to use his board for the 1st time in Thailand.
Dirt Biking- Koh TaoDirt Biking- Koh Tao
Dirt Biking- Koh Tao

We were amazed at the roads these scooters could handle!
BeforeBefore
Before

Enjoying excellent kiteboarding conditions in Hua Hin until....
AfterAfter
After

Dave ended up spending an hour in the hospital having a jelly fish sting taken care of!
Train to BangkokTrain to Bangkok
Train to Bangkok

"Ordinary" class.
The Grand Palace - BangkokThe Grand Palace - Bangkok
The Grand Palace - Bangkok

I was issued with those lovely blue pant as shorts weren't allowed.
Wat Pho - BangkokWat Pho - Bangkok
Wat Pho - Bangkok

44ft Bronze statue of the reclining Buddha at Wat Pho.
Canal Boat - BangkokCanal Boat - Bangkok
Canal Boat - Bangkok

High speed canal boat taking us home. We had to keep our mouths shut and heads down to avoid swallowing any of the disgusting water!


27th March 2007

Awesome...
I think I have said AWESOME in every comment so far! Can't wait to see you, lots of love, Pam x

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb