A few more observations


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
March 8th 2007
Published: March 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

If you order a mixed drink here, it always comes garnished with fruit and orchid blossoms. It amazes me that they grow like weeds here and are that disposable, when at home they are so rare and beautiful and the cost of having those garnish your drink would be insane. Makes for some pretty drinks though!

They don't use chopsticks usually, typically a spoon and a fork. I have not seen a knife since I have been here, you use the fork for cutting (though most things are already chopped bite size) and you eat from your spoon. It still feels stange scooping up mixed veg or whatever with your spoon rather than fork.

Rice, rice, rice! They literally eat rice for 3 meals a day. I've been doing it for two, but I just can't bring myself to eat rice for breakfast too. Luckily pancakes or toast are usually available too. Oh and there is also rice for dessert too - sticky rice with mango or banana.

Driving is not as crazy as some places I have been, but they really don't follow the lanes on the road when it comes to passing. There have been times when there have been 3 cars and a scooter across a double-lane highway because everyone passes all the time and expects the other vehicles to drive on the shoulder or wherever to make room for them to do so if there is oncoming traffic. And I have not seen one accident yet, incredible!

Scooters are everywhere, and it is not unusual to see 3 people riding on one scooter seat, and I'm talking full grown people. It's also common to see a very small child perched on the seat in front of their parent, who will have one hand on the handle and one around the baby. Once they are a toddler they don't even hang onto them anymore! The kids here are so well behaved and smart, haven't seen one misbehaved kid yet and for them to be able to sit so well on a scooter, and smart enough to be crossing roads responsibiliy and all, it's amazing!

The tsumani is a topic that keeps coming up - our current tour guide was in Phuket with a group when it happened. He said that group made out really well considering, only two girld got broken arms when the wave hit. He said he still has friends from the affected areas who he has not heard from yet so he does not know if they are alive or dead or where they are. He had one story about one tourist couple he came across at the time who were all upset that their camera had been lost! It's amazing how insensitive and self-centered some people can be.



Advertisement



9th March 2007

Movie Material
Hey Carmen! I have looked forward to and very much enjoyed reading about your "adventure" - what a wonderful idea !!!! It is as if one were there right beside you, the way that you describe it - speaking of which the feeling of those things drinking out of the toilet gave me the willies!!!! I think you should make a movie or even a reality show- :) See you soon!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb