Day 26: The Hangover


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
September 30th 2018
Published: September 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We did not emerge into the daylight until gone noon, much to the amusement of our host who had predicted this the night before, but we had assured him that we were old and would be home by midnight. We had no idea what we were going to do on the day so after sourcing some hangover food (burgers) from a local restaurant we set off on an adventure down the beach. Thongsala beach is located right next to the pier and we set off walking left until we found somewhere to sit ourselves. We walked a considerable distance and eventually settled on a spot next to an unusual piece of beachfront where the tide came out and left a sandy walkway for us to get a substantial distance away from the actual shore without having to walk into the sea. The sea itself was actually warmer than the air, which made the water feel like a bath. We played around and sat in the water looking out across to Koh Samui (our next destination, which is only a 20 minute ferry away). We could see a storm hang ominously over Koh Samui and the island itself entirely disappeared for half an hour in the dark clouds. We didn’t get any rain but could hear thunder and saw the wind pick up substantially. Feeling this was probably a wise time to call it a day, we got out and bypassed the millions of tiny crabs fleeing at the vibrations of human feet across the sand. We ventured back to the hotel and got changed before heading out to source food. This took us to the Thongsala night market, which is essentially a cheaper food court. Whilst on the whole restaurants charge more for meat eaters as oppose to vegetarians in Thailand, the street market is where this is evened out. I spent 90 baht (£2.10) and feasted on a chicken meat stick, a crab meat stick, and enough boneless chicken to fill a KFC bucket, all with a fruit shake to boot. Meg managed to find a falafel and hummus stand which she was obviously ecstatic about. We had a look around the market next door but this was more standard tourist fare, with chang sleeveless tops and handbags galore. We skipped that and headed back to the hostel, still slightly hungover and very very tired.

Steps: 14,860

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb