Things to Buy in Thailand as a Souvenir That Support Locals


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
March 29th 2018
Published: March 29th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Everytime my foreign friend’s Thailand tripis finally coming to an end and they have to think about things to bring back home for their family and friends. They always ask me about what to buy from Thailand as a souvenir. So, I decided to write about gift ideas that my friends will show off the craftsmanship and beauty of these gifts, as well as support local artisans. That's a gift that will truly be appreciated!




My suggestion is when shopping for a thoughtful gift, consider a purchase that’s not only unique, but supports local craftspeople in Thailand. Thailand is famous for its beautiful wood, silks, food, and handicrafts, Thailand provides an abundance of delightful gift ideas. From playful to practical, whimsical to delicious, there’s a gift idea for everyone in your life!


1. Wooden Star Puzzle



Since Archie and I love games and puzzles. I think this classic wood puzzle makes the perfect gift for anyone who loves beautiful items and enjoys a wood game to solve. Made from monkey-pod wood (sometimes called raintree wood), this star puzzle is truly a multipurpose item. It’s a handsome decorative object that looks right at home on a shelf or perched atop a stack of books on a coffee table. The wood is richly colored and smooth to the touch, inviting guests to pick it up and play. When they do, they’ll soon be obsessed with trying to solve it.



2. Twig Pencils



One time, my friend and I were shopping for her niece and nephew. We went to a night market in Chiang Mai. We spent a half an hour at a pencils shop. We loved it. So here is my second gift idea for everyone. A set of colored pencils is sure to delight, especially when the pencils resemble tiny tree branches. These irresistible pencils invite handling and drawing. They come in a variety of colors, sizes, and quantities. Paired with a sketchbook or coloring book, twig pencils make a perfect gift for a child or anyone who needs more creativity in their life. They also make the perfect addition to a Christmas stocking, Easter basket, or birthday gift. Another idea is to give them away as party favors. We think they’d look adorable propped up at each place setting at a festive meal. If you cover the table with white paper, guests can even use their twig pencils to decorate the table.



3. Woodcarvings



For an elegant gift, consider a teak woodcarving made in Thailand. Local artisans carve the soft, lustrous teak into a variety of inspirational shapes, including the Buddha, floral designs, and elephants, which are a national symbol of Thailand. A common gift is a hand carved wood panel with intricate designs, often depicting abstracts, flowers, or elephants.



4. Dried Fruit and Seasonings



Thanks to my country’s unique climate, Thailand is able to grow a wide array of fruits and other edible plants. Many of them make unexpected and welcome gifts, including saffron, curry powder, dried pineapple, and dried papaya. For a special gift, I recommend choosing a selection of dried fruits and seasonings and packing them together in a decorative basket or serving bowl. Consider using a hand carved teak bowl also made in Thailand to enhance the impact.



5. Clothing and Fabrics




Traditional Thai clothing is beautiful to behold and makes a stunning gift for someone who appreciates unique additions to their wardrobe. Thai clothing is usually made of the silk that Thailand is famous for. The items of clothing are typically brightly colored and embellished with gorgeous embroidery and metallic decorations. Thai clothing is usually designed and sewn by local women, so these purchases support Thai seamstresses and families.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb