I went to bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Uthai Thani
October 12th 2006
Published: November 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

a little bit of humora little bit of humora little bit of humor

yes this pic is real. it's a picture in the main mall in bangkok. I thought it was funny how the girl is standing
A while back I did some very exciting things in Bangkok. I wrote about them at the time so they are all in present tense. Sorry to not post them right away but internet is, as usual, a tricky thing in Thailand.

Today I went to Wat Prat Gaeo. Which is the royal temple as well as the four parts of the palace. Upon arriving at 8 (my host mom was getting her hair done elsewhere) I was met by a would-be, guide who charged 100 baht for a full history and tour of the whole temple. Including stories that went along with each significant figure, The Monkey and the Daemon Fight (which is written on a wall in pictures) , the Herbalist, and the fact that the king is considered to be a re-incarnate of a god; even though he is considered to be a god, he is still considered to be lower than Buddha. I also found out that even with Buddhism as a religion for 90% of the population Buddha never actually visited Thailand as he was originally Hindu.

I got to see the “emerald” Buddha , which is actually made of jade, it was covered
TraditionalTraditionalTraditional

it was interesting seeing this in a mall but these people are dressed for a ceremony of thai dance
in plaster during a war against the Burmese so no one knew it was jade for a few hundred years. It has now turned into a very prominent artifact and no one is allowed to take a picture of it. I got a picture with the bonsai trees on the royal temple grounds. They are hundreds of years old. I got a picture with the guards of the area. Unlike the guards in Buckingham they smile when asked.

A boat tour later showed many figures of Buddha throughout Bangkok - all in a breath-taking view. Later my host mother took me to Chinatown. The only word for it was amazing. There were many people all smiling in a melting pot of cultures. During the day most stores are gold shops and during the night is food of all sorts. Foods available include shark-fins and a type of bird's nest; both are very expensive and part of the experience.

The next night I met my host brother's girlfriend. In Thai culture children do not date without their parents' extreme approval so a girlfriend or boyfriend spending a day or 3 with the other one's parents is not unusual. We
The hermitThe hermitThe hermit

a very old statue of "The Hermit" is of the story where a hermit helped "lord Buddha" (in those days that was close enough to a doctor)
all went or sushi that evening. It was a little difficult with so many people on the road. My older host brother, Oct had to give us directions from the back seat. The rest of the trip was massive amounts of shopping and going on a sky train to get anywhere. It is quite convenient to get any where in Bangkok if you don’t mind waiting for a taxi or sky train.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

three types of templesthree types of temples
three types of temples

i think this picture is wonderful because there are 3 different styles of temples from 3 differnt cultures all next to each other and the mix is amazing
a royal soldier who's smilinga royal soldier who's smiling
a royal soldier who's smiling

this is on e of those soldiers that i was talking about if you ask them to smile for you they will
On a boat tourOn a boat tour
On a boat tour

this is one temple photo out of many it was on a wonderful tour boat


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb