Melissa and Andy cook up a treat in Kanchanaburi.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
June 16th 2006
Published: June 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ahhhh Pigsey!!Ahhhh Pigsey!!Ahhhh Pigsey!!

It'snout to worry about!
After a dodgey start to the morning. I, Andy had one too many beers last night, yes I had 3!!!
We met our fellow chefs for the day and our teacher, now get ready for this guys. Our teacher for the day was not Delia Smith, Jamie Oliver or Ainsley Harriot but the one and only Mickey!!! A mixture of Lady and boy or should we just say, Ladyboy, yes thats right Ladyboy. He/she was very nice and funny but we could not get away from calling her, he or him. It was so hard. But funny.

She/he took us to the market where he/she showed us around the stalls and some of the ingredients we would be using for the day. She/he said that the market sellers start there stalls at 3:00am in the morning. The reason for the early start? So they can also work in the day!!! Although we had been round loads of markets before, this time it was different because we actually had someone to tell us what we were looking at. Like pigs heads, pigs trotters, headless piglets, live fish before they were hacked to death and flys. It was cool.

Back at the guesthouse it was time to put on our pinnies, we looked the part at least!
Throughout the day we watched and learnt how to cook loads of different types of Tom Yam soup and we cooked our own Pad Thai and Masaman curries whilst learning how to cook Sweet and Sour, Red and Green curries and a Thai salad etc. It was all really good and we got to keep all the recipes in our little notebooks, so get ready for a dose of food poisoning when we get home people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Little pigletsLittle piglets
Little piglets

Aahh bless 'em
Mickey, our teacher for the day.Mickey, our teacher for the day.
Mickey, our teacher for the day.

He/she was very nice and funny.
Eat your heart out Delia SmithEat your heart out Delia Smith
Eat your heart out Delia Smith

Wok's going on here?
Looks good as well!!Looks good as well!!
Looks good as well!!

What do you think?
Thai green curryThai green curry
Thai green curry

Yummy in my tummy.
More cooking photosMore cooking photos
More cooking photos

Food, glorious food.
The war cemetery.The war cemetery.
The war cemetery.

Rows upon, rows upon rows.
Sunset at the cemeterySunset at the cemetery
Sunset at the cemetery

Very peaceful and well maintained.


Tot: 0.426s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 28; qc: 133; dbt: 0.3051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb