Waterfalls, Tigers and Bridges


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
March 7th 2006
Published: March 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I met up with my Intrepid group in Bangkok a couple of days ago, they seem like a good crowd - much younger & more diverse mix of nationalities (including one old japanese guy called Hero who always has at least four cameras round his neck).
This morning our group got a bus to a place called Erawan waterfall, which are a series of 7 waterfalls spanning a 1000m drop. Under each fall was a crystal clear plunge pool where we spent the morning swimming. All the rocks were covered with a thick calcium deposit and algee so there were some fantastic natural water slides.
After Erawan we went to a Tiger Sanctuary; buddist monks take orphaned tigers and raise them to adulthood in the safety of the reserve; they have about 15 fully grown cats and three cubs. The best thing is that the tigers are completely tame, we could walk amongst them, stroke them and even have our pictures taken with our arms round them. Getting close to such a powerful predator was incredible and unforgetable. Amusingly their handlers play with them like domestic cats & even give them chewey toys.
Later on we went accross to the River Kwai where we had some canoes booked, we paddled slowly down river through the forrest stopping to see the sunset, an hour later we paddled under the famous bridge. Emmit (irish fella i shared a canoe with) & I even pulled up to one of the riverside restaurents and ordered a couple of beers.
Quite a fantastic day!

Advertisement



8th March 2006

Slipery slopes
Love the waterfalls! Have found a website with lots of fab photos of Erawan and got one of them as my desktop now. Really enjoying this geography lesson (Rich take note...!): - Discovered that Burma, which the subject of scrutiny on the today prog. every day this week, is just over the border from you Will, in Northern Thailand and Varanasi has been in the news - two of the bombs were in the railway station...miss is as good as and all that...Take care and keep writing - its fascinating and giving your father itchy feet!
8th March 2006

Wow!
Wow! I have just found the tigers now - absolutely fantastic beautiful beasts - you are so lucky!
8th March 2006

jealous
will, you are making me very jealous - glad to hear that you are having a fantastic time. keep safe and enjoy the sunshine, things here are pretty dull (not just the weather!!) lots of love al xx

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 22; qc: 92; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb