Cant get any better


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
July 31st 2008
Published: July 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Living in History



had an early start to the day to settle my transpoert back to bkk. i've got quite alot of ground to cover today esp since kanchanaburi's attractions are pretty much scattered all over town. began the day at the kanchanaburi allied war cemetary. its a simple palce really, and most pple my age wld prob be bored by the expansive lawn filled with rows of heastones which marks the final resting place of some 7000 POWs who lost their lives whilst building the Thai-Burma railway. i took the opportunity to visit each and every headstone, so of whom were as young as 21. what really touched me was the simple message written on their headstones. some had meaningful bible verses, whilst otheres had a heartfelt message from their loved ones. one in particular really stood out and i felt tht really told the story of the victims. on the headstone of Corporal P.W Clarke wrote "beloved husband of Phyllis, Daddy of Pat, sson of Sarah and William Clarke." For each life lost, many more are affected. i oso chances upon an old lady who came with her husband looking for her brother's grave.. its things like tht which made this visit even more real than it already was.

the thai-burma railway reasearch museum was next. it proved very much to be an infomaative guide on the story during the jap occupation at kanchanaburi. what made it even more impressive was the many war relics tht were on display. they ranged from soldier's personal belongings to remains of the original railway itself.

it was getting too hot and i had to hide from the kan sun so i decided to head bacck to my guesthouse for an afternnoon nap b4 catching the sunset at the bridge. after a short nap, i learnt something. never ever complain abt the sun!! it ended up raining and really i was really feeling quite shitty. but i figured since it was my last day, i cant possibly not see the brdge and leave could i???? so off i went...walked in the rain for 20mins or so and everything from then on made the sacrifice worthwhile. the fact thtt i wasnt the only crazy bugger walking in the rain across the bridge made me feel a tad bit better. the rain soon began to clear up and there was still hope for a sunset at the bridge over river kwai.

well, i guess i got much much more than wad i had asked for... as soon as the rain cleared, a rainbow formed across the river kwai. everyone just stopped watched and stared in awe as nature's beauty unfolded b4 their eyes. and to top the evening off, the sunset was equally beautiful. oh and i also got to be on the bridge at the very same time the train crossed...wad more can i ask for to end this trip!!!???

well im starting to break in to a rash though which slowly seems to be covering my body. its damn itchy and killing me slowly.. maybe its the thailand heat taking its toll. but for wad i've experienced today, this rash is nothing!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

death railwaydeath railway
death railway

the very path tht claimed thousands of lives
rainbow over the river kwairainbow over the river kwai
rainbow over the river kwai

how often do u get to see a sight this beautiful?


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb