Waterfalls and Tigers


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
July 14th 2008
Published: July 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This weekend as I said in an earlier post we planned to go to the waterfalls ant Kanchanaburi. It was great, the waterfalls were so gorgeous! Before we got to the waterfalls we went to see the bride over the river kwai which was an amazing experience. We walked across the bridge which was sooooo scary as there are no railings and only planks of wood to walk on with the river below. The bridge is still in use with 14 trains coming across at a time. Luckily, the train decided to come past just as we got off! The Oriental Express went past (looking very posh), it stopped at the station so I had a nice picture on the platform. Looked like the poshest traveller ever!!!

After this we went to the Tiger Temple which is a place run by monks as a sanctuary for injured tigers. There were also tigers who had been born at the temple. We got there and went to have our pictures with the tigers, which was quite sad as it looked as if they had been drugged. We asked the helpers if they were and apparently there sleep during the day but it still was quite sad as the tigers looked really sad! :-(
Howevere, we then went down to see the tigers cubs (just 1 month old! so cute) and they all looked really happy and so well looked after. They were so small and cute. one had diarrheoa so was not the nicest! Hehe

Sarturday night we went to a restaurant on the river kwai which was just under the bridge so we got to see the bridge illuminated at night which looked gorgeous! The food was so so nice and they had wine!!! Nowhere in Thailand seems to sell wine, its all beer, beer, beer or whisky! After this we went to a club in the town, which was quite scary as it was full of thais and all the men kept on staring at us all lol. We felt like celebs hehe, we didnt stay rfor too long!!!

On Sunday we went to the main waterfalls at Kanchanaburi, they were gorgeous! Clear blue water pools with fish that suck your feet lol, a strange feeling! The waterfall had 7 tiers, about 2 miles to the top tier, but I only went upto the 5th as was feeling a bit faint. There were no real paths between the falls and I didn't have on proper shoes so was quite hard to get up there. On the way back down there were some monkeys sat onm a bridge so being a tourist I decided to tak a picture, what a mistake that turned out to be! I put my bag on the floor and a cheeky monkey decided to nick my bag! It grabbed the handle and started pulling it along the b\bridge, "no thats my bag!!!!". So i ran after the money and after a bit of tug of war and dead eye glaring from the monkey I eventaully got it back! Needless to say i will never take a picture of a monkey again!!!

Off for the temple stay tommorow, it is meant to be haunted, as the former monks are buried underneath the temple, arghhhh! So not looking forward to it!

I felt like a celebrity walking to the internet cafe, all the children in the village came out to say hello, want to know your name, age, where you live etc. There so cute! One girl asked me for my signature in her notebook lol.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb