on the road


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
July 2nd 2008
Published: July 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another day another destination. this is my last day in kanchanaburi where the heat is a little easy on you compared to bangkok but it can't be said it's forgiving. it gets you so it ties you up into knots, makes your eyes swell and bears heavy on your eyelids so you can't walk no more. it gets so u wanna sleep where u stand.

that said i have had a memorable time and even managed to find me some cool waters to dip into. an hour out of town there's errawan falls, a series of 7 falls. it's a hard trek up in the heat but its worth it for a cool dip except you've got to watch out for the fishes and they're big some of them. they like to nuzzle you but if u stood still too long i think they'd like to bite you. it took me a long while to jump in. i just crouched over the pool watching them gather. they can see you from down there and it gets so u start thinking this is their place and without an invite it wouldn't be a good idea to step in. but it was getting so hot with the sun beating upon my shoulders i felt like i had no choice so i waited till some other poor sucker upstream made a splash causing them to run after him that i made my entrance and swam as fast as i could to the middle. i was thrashing around so fast i felt my heart was gonna leap out of my chest and i worked my lungs so hard i couldn't stay afloat for long. so as quick as i could i swam back to the rocks and jumped out of that pool so quick u would have thought i was a grasshopper.

it was much better in the last and highest pool but there the water was so clouded you couldn't see the darn critters and since some people were standing around in the middle quite happy i figured it was safe to take the plunge. and you know im glad i did. that was the best pool. so cool and refreshing. the scenery is pretty amazing over in them hills.

after a walk back down and some pretty awful lunch i made my way to the death railway, jumped onto an old banger of a train but which was quite quaint and rode it for 4 stops. then i made my way over to the famous "bridge over the river kwai". As you can probably figure, this is now just a tourist site so there are no trains going over here. tried to figure out, as i looked out across the bridge, how things would have been like in the day but it was hard what with all the floating restaurants dotting the shore.

the day after i just walked around and made my way to the cemetery. it was pretty sad. it was full of POW's from all over the world!!

today, im catching the VIP bus over to chiang mai cos im pretty lazy and can't be bothered right now to make my own way there. we'll be stopping over at the dreaded khao san road for a few hours before heading up north to chiang mai. it's an overnight journey so reckon im gonna be pretty tired by the time the bus pulls into the depot.

after this im going to check if the guest house has replied to my email and if not i'll have to find a few names of guesthouses to give the tuk tuk drivers cos after arriving in kanchanaburi without a place to stay i decided i don't want to do that again.

you take care and i'll catch u soon xx




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb