first few days in the land of Thai...wow1


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
April 13th 2008
Published: April 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

My my, my, what to say.....
Got over here on the 9th and we've done sooooo much since we arrived.

The frist day we booked into the D and D inn in Bangkok, after the LONGEST flight ever!
Got a double room with no window but the fact there was a rooftop pool more than made up for it.
Our first night was spent sipping pineapple juice and tequila in the pool before heading out for a night. met a load of random people including a nice Canadian guy called Jason.
The Kho san road is mad, its really like something you'd see in spain at a resort or something but its way cheaper and you've to haggle for anything you want to buy because they always start too high.

We got up at 12 the next day and tried to head for the Temple and grand Palace but it was shutting early so instead we opted for a tuk tuk drive around bcause it was cheap due to it being a holiday over here. We saw a few temples and monuments and got dragged into the usual suit shops and jewellers but managed to resist buying stuff. then went to a tourist info place and managed to book 2 nights in Kanchanaburi and accomodation plus busses to Ko Samui.


Spent the night playing cards having some beers on the rooftop terrace overlooking the city, very fun!

We got up the next day at 7 am and got taken in a non AC bus to the bridge over the river Kwai and to the train track they built up there.
We were dying after the jet lag really kicked in so haveto say we didn't really enjoy it until the afternoon after we were taken to a waterfall where we could swim and cool down, it was pretty cool and really helped with the wreckness.

We had an early night in our little bungalow beside the river kwai and were up felling grand the next day with the marked exception of the load of mosi bites I got all over my limbs : (
I'm now itching like mad and totally scared I'll get more, they seem to be pretty fond of me cos Shar got none.

we spent the morning in one of the national parks climbing waterfalls and I actually swam in a waterfall pool where the fish were so tame they nibbled our legs (not mine though because I was flailing like mad in the water so that they couldn't get me)
then we spent the afternoon in the tiger sanctury where we got to pet real tigers!!!!
there were some little baby ones that were playing and we got to siot with them and rub them whilst they played.

we spent that night sleeping on a boart house where iit was so rough and ready the shower ran into the river!
We befrended loads of people who were staying with us, in particular a guy called Gareth, his girlfriend Cat nad her sister Jo. Had a great night sitting out on the bamboo raft playing cards and chatting.

Today we got up and went down to the Hellfire museum tired again from the night before but we were ok after lunch when we went bamboo rafting down the river Kwai and even got in for a swim, bit gross considering the showers and god knows what else run into it but it was way too warm to stay on the raft.

then we went for an elephant ride in the jungle which was pretty awesome, especially after when we could just hang around and pet the elephants and hold their trunks as if they were hands.

Tonight we got bck up to bangkok in the middle of the new year celebrations. Initially the throngs of people having a waterfight in the street was cool but the novelty wore off after an hour tryiing to walk through the crouds to our hotel.

Once we got rid of our bags we got out to the street and got properly into it, squirting the hell out of everyone we saw and getting clay put on our faces.

that was until I sliced a chunk out of my toe with a lump of glass, we had to run into a shop and the lovely Thai people who worked there got alcohol to it and Shar bandaged me up.
So I'm hopin it heals up tonight.

Anyhoo gona go now and try get some pics up to go with this.
What a trip though, its only been 4 days and its been out of this world (despite the bites and toe slicing of course)
Bring on tomorrow for more water fights and then tho Ko Samui where we'll be in the silver sand beach bungalows.







Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb