A bridge over troubled water.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
November 11th 2007
Published: November 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Once again another place another experience. We jumped on the sleeper train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok which was a different experience in itself. The journey took 13 hours and went at a steady pace, the track probably isn't the best but the distance is great. After a full nights sleep we jumped on a bus heading to Kanchanaburi the sight of the famous Bridge Over the River Kwai. On arrival we found a nice guesthouse offering raft houses, we (or Mark) just had to have one. They appear to be 5 rooms supported on two boat hulls on the river Kwai, we just have to try these things! In the afternoon of our arrival we headed out to the tiger temple which houses rescues tigers that are now tame enough for humans to mingle around them, or so the leaflet would let you believe. We came away thoroughly disappointed. Set up and run by a Monk it appears to be a circus show where tigers are exploited for human satisfaction. Definitely would not recommend!

On the 12/11 we visited the famous Damnoen Saduak floating market (south of Bangkok) which are an hour and thirty minutes out of town. Made up of narrow water ways which we traversed in a boat there are other boats floating about selling all sorts, we were able to buy breakfast made up of traditional Thai things (to try and spell it would be fruitless). There are also stalls set on the canal banks mostly selling curios. It was really good to experience, the sights, smells and atmosphere could never be described. In the afternoon we were back in Kanchanaburi and walked to the famous Bridge. The centre section was rebuilt post war but it is much in its original state, still showing the scars of where it was hit by bomb raids. The bridge and the Death Railway is still in use but largely for tourists. We were able to walk the length of the bridge which was hairy at times due to the non existent safety rails. After this experience we speeded things up and hailed a cyclo into town. Visiting the Thailand Burma railway museum and war cemetery. The museum was one of the best we have visited being well laid out and informative - educating our naive brains! The cemetery was great to see, 60 years after the deaths the cemetery is still being kept in pristine condition with the best kept lawns ever seen, it's good to see our war dead still being cared for in foreign lands.

Tomorrow (13/11) we're heading down South via Bangkok. We managed to pick up a cheap flight with Asia Air (they've had their crash quota this month). We didn't fancy the 16 hour bus or train ride so opted for the 1hour flight. Until next time...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb