Capture My Heart, Kanchanaburi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
April 1st 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a few wonderful days in Bangkok (I really liked the city, contrary to most opinion), we're in Kanchanaburi now, and it has been a wonderful place. We've ditched our Bible (the LP or Lonely Planet) since its Thailand section is basically worthless, and we rented motorbikes for the first time today - resulting in possibly my favorite day in Thailand so far.

We were able to simply roam around the countryside at will. We whizzed past farms, self-herding cows, wat after wat, street vendors, fruit stalls, and every imaginable item of typical country life. The views were breathtaking - low, lush, verdant fields against a backdrop of sharp peaks, becoming golden with the sun, heat, and dryness. Behind us, a trail of dust flies up. We eventually ended up at our destination, the Tiger Temple, after many a wrong turn thanks to fantasically inaccurate tourist maps and directions - but this was one of those times when you enjoy the journey nearly as much as than the destination.

The Tiger Temple was exactly that: a bunch of monks caring for orphaned/displaced tigers, as well as a number of other random animals - roosters, boars, peacocks, hideously ugly goats, long-eared cows, small ponies, and whatever else happened to inhabit their safari. And how can you go wrong with 12 tigers and 2 cubs that you let visitors pet? Obviously photos of Becky + tiger forthcoming.

On the return trip we took a long detour past a five-for-one wat complex: Chinese tower, Khmer prang, giant gold walking Buddha, and random pagodas & wihaans. These of course were elevated into the hillside, and what should be happening in the park below but a rave, complete with carnival rides and glowing lights. Awesome.

Though Kanchanaburi is famous for the POW camps and the River Kwai Bridge (twice bombed, thrice built), you stay for everything surrounding it: typical Thais about their daily life.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb