Rajaphakti Park - We visit the Kings of Siam


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Southern Thailand
February 19th 2017
Published: February 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 18th February



This morning Leo suggests we visit a local park - sounds nice, will it have lakes, ducks, perhaps lilies & carp with nice little seats to relax on after a good stroll?

We had decided to clean our little house from top to bottom, do all our laundry, with bedding & towels etc etc. We do need to remind ourselves that we are supposed to 'live here, like home' but we have been a little 'relaxed' about things domestic. So, yes, an afternoon at the Park sounds ideal.



It's name is Rajaphakti Park and has a very grand entrance. We have passed it a few times en route to Hua hin, so knew exactly how to find it. We're a little surprised to note an army prescence, who waved us in, then again along the long driveway, directed where to park our car. There was quite a lot of activity, coaches arriving spilling hordes of sweet little Thai Children all dressed in bright yellow shirts who raced towards a set of large marquees, while a convoy of army trucks pulled up, filled with soldiers. We began to realise that this was a park with a difference.



We almost turned back upon reading a huge sign asked for Visitors to dress respectfully?? We were dressed in vest tops and shorts, as you would really if you were going to visit a park in 36 degrees celsius. We were a bit cross with ourselves as we understand the dress code here, and vowed to ALWAYS carry a shawl/shirt in the car - but we forgot - so before we turned back, decided to venture forth and see what was going on. Had a handbag check by an army official who pointed to a booth opposite where we were issued with clothing - funky denim shirts and quite attractive black and gold wrap-around skirts. Just want to add that there were many many locals/visitors all donning these 'modesty clothes' so we dressed up and continued, getting into the spirit of things and following the crowds, clueless as to why all these people were gathering here.



As we started to enter the Path proper we were accosted by a smiling lady at a desk who asked us to sign the King's book, where we were each requested to add 'Long Live the King' and 'Long may he Reign'. Believing this was for the still to be crowned New King Vijiralinkorn, We find out later that day that in fact these books are for the recently departed King Bhumibol, who (as the Country is still in official mourning) is yet to be interred. Apparently, he still has some Sovereignty ?? Anyway, not quite understanding, continuing into the Park we pass a Marquee containing large photographs of statues depicting several historic Kings of Siam and their Bibliography with the emphasis on their Battle Honours, accompanied by a spooled video about the Park and the Kings but as it is all in Thai not very instructive for us Farangs. The obvious focus of the Park itself is a huge platform bearing 14 metre high bronze statues of 7 past Kings of Siam, erected by the Thai army in 2015 and officially opened by the then, Crown Prince. There is talk of adding the recently deceased King Bhumibol to this impressive site, however, this may not happen as this would make a even number, which Thais consider to be bad luck. The park has very little else to it's credit at this time, but will bear a museum soon, and perhaps the recently landscaped gardens and lake will mature and become a 'proper' park one day. Hundreds and Thousands of Thais travel from all over Thailand just to have their photos taken beside these 7 Kings, whose names/bibliographies we won't list here. We were informed by a Guide that there will be an Expo Convention next week for 4 days, we may pop along.

It was extremely hot so we didn't hang around too long, so after handing back our borrowed garments, we drove away. As we were mainly having a domestic type of day, we popped into the Tesco Lotus Hypermarket, bought Leo some chino-style shorts for 100baht per pair (£2.20) and did a 'proper shop' with usual stuff, wherever you may be in the world, there will always be a need for 'stuff'. That done, it was time to pop along to the Bamboo Bar to chew the fat with the proprietors John and Jane, who are full of local knowledge and easy to spend an hour with.



Dinner at home on the terrace, Thai omelette with sticky rice, Terryaki Chicken with sticky rice with prawn dumplings on the side. Entertainment, courtesy of laptop music, very warm evening. Heat has returned with a vengeance after the end of the Monsoon. Windows and Doors all open to allow us to sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb