Last Few Weeks


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Southern Thailand
June 12th 2010
Published: June 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Railay



It's been a while since our last update so I'll try to sum up what we've been up to for the past few weeks. After leaving Koh Phangan we decided to head for the western side of Thailand. Our first stop was Railay which is a famous area for rock climbing. This was one of our favorite places. Railay is a really small area and there are no roads or cars so you can walk everywhere. There are two main beaches and the rest of the peninsula is surrounded by huge limestone cliffs. We found accomodation at the Railay View Point on the east side which is much cheaper than the west. Our place was great and every night they had a delicious all you can eat buffet/barbecue for $5 CAD (expensive by Thai standards but worth every penny). Ash and I both ordered the barbecue crocodile just to mix things up and it was one of the best meals we have had so far!

After a few days of lazing around and exploring the caves and beaches we decided to sign up for a rock climbing course. Ash has done indoor climbing before so the transition was easy for her but it took me a while to catch on. Needless to say I didn't make it to the top of the 30 meter climb but I came close. We climbed for about 4 hours before our arms and legs felt like rubber and then it was back to the hotel to spend the afternoon by the pool. There was so much to do on Railay so we extended our stay ..in total we were there for 6 days and then it was off to Koh Phi Phi...

"The Beach"



After a nauseating boat ride we finally made it to Koh Phi Phi and wandered around looking for accomodation. Again, we lucked out and found a great guesthouse 5 minutes from the beach. Our first day we spent most of the afternoon at the beach before climbing up to the famous viewpoint. The long climb up the stairs was definitely worth it! The viewpoint overlooks both beaches on Koh Phi Phi and you can see for miles.. we even got to watch a huge rainstorm come in which was pretty cool. Later in the day, after our 100th dish of green curry (sooo good), we decided to head out for the night. We started with a pitcher of mojito, followed by 2 or 3 free buckets and shots of something...I avoided the shots by pouring them into Ash's bucket 😊 After a while I almost had her convinced to get in the boxing ring for a quick round of muay thai at the Reggae Bar but she decided against it.

The next day was another lazy day at the beach and we booked our tour to Phi Phi Ley and Maya Bay(the beach made famous by Leo). Our tour left in the afternoon and we stopped for an hour of snorkling ..unfortunately I had a battle with the coral but my foot has healed nicely since then. After snorkling we went around the back of the island and had to swim ashore with the jelly fish beacause it was too rough to boat directly into Maya Bay. The beach was beautiful as expected and most of the tour boats had left for the day by the time we arrived. We spent most of our time getting ridiculous pictures in the waves..Ash won't let me post these pictures but I'm sure I'll get them on facebook sooner or later.

Last week in Phuket



After 3 days in Koh Phi Phi we moved on to Phuket. We weren't sure what to expect because most travellers we have met didn't like this area. So far things have been great.. we are staying near Karon beach which is away from the craziness of Patong. We have another couple days in the area and then its time to head home. The plan is to see some muay thai fights, possibly sign up for some muay thai training, and we will most likely see some lady boy shows. The last 6 weeks have flown by but its been a great experience.. hopefully our friends/family enjoyed the updates!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb