Wednesday April 29th Ko Samui


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Southern Thailand
April 29th 2009
Published: June 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday April 29th Ko Samui

Got up and finally made it down to the beach in Ko Samui. As resort beaches go Chaweng beach is pretty good. Exquisite turquoise blue clear water and fine blindingly white sand, broken up by jet ski stalls, ice cream vendors and the lads coming up and down selling you wristbands and henna tattoos. Paradise, package resort style! Had a lovely morning sweating buckets in the sunshine anyhow before we broke for lunch and headed off for a sandwich and a look in the shops to buy hats to keep the sun off our faces.

So with our new genuine quality Abercrombie and Oakley hats we headed back to the beach to sweat away the afternoon. Dinner was another simple Thai food one, its great how the local food is so cheap in all the restaurants, you can get lovely bbq’d fresh fish but its all about 8 Euro vs 1.50 for a pad Thai so rice and noodles are our stable diet these days. We headed back down to the beach bars then on moto taxis and got loungers on the sand. It wasn’t long til we were being constantly bothered by the locals with their traveling zoos trying to put monkeys, iguanas, snakes and eagles on your shoulder for a photo. And if they aren’t bothering you there is sure to be someone trying to sell you a firework, a floral necklace, a laser pen, glow sticks, masks, bracelets, henna tattoos or to get you to play and get inevitably beaten in connect 4 by a 5 year old. They were very bothersome in our sober state, hadn’t noticed them so much the previous night down there though! SO we headed up back onto the main street. We wandered onto a street that leads to another big club and found ourselves on the “market strip” where all the local girls hang out looking for a fat white old westerner. We sat outside a bar and watched all the action for a while, interesting. At the top of the road then there was Green Mango, and a few other big disco bars. Each of them belting out music at about 200 decibels so when you stand outside of them, from every corner you are being lambasted with a different song. The green mango was pretty packed; it seemed a lot busier out tonight. We stayed for a drink or two and left them all to it then.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb