Ko Pha Ngan: both restful and rowdy


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand
June 24th 2001
Published: August 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Back to friendly Thailand and familiar Khao San Road. We had our much-anticipated reunion with Chris and, of course, many beers were had we caught up on the gossip from home. Too many more were had during a crazy night out to Nana Plaza to see the sex shows (!!) with an international group of insane people. What fun! And best of all, the dancers all seemed like they're actually having a good time. Not the desperate, coked-out brand of sex entertainer you see elsewhere but people who are just enjoying themselves and aren't taking work too seriously. I love it!


The women here are like the trees that hold the sand on the beach. From a young age they can travel by themselves, ride a motorbike, work at manual labor, flirt with men and run a business. All this while wearing an exotic aura as natural to them as the everyday habit of stepping into a pair of sandals. They treat work like it's the neighborhood barbeque - a chance to socialize and tell jokes. I love to be around them.


Someone told Chris, "If you go to the south of Thailand first, you'll never make it to the north." Absolutely true! How hard would it be to spend your entire time here snorkeling, living in beach bungalows and admiring green hills and bright blue ocean? Ko Pha Ngan is an oasis I couldn't have believed existed. Scenic and slow. Until the full moon party, that is. From which I had to be carried back soaking wet. I don't actually remember much. This is when I thank God that I have such a trustworthy partner. Promise to myself: no more whiskey "buckets"!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb