I'll have the Mud Treatment


Advertisement
Published: April 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sunset on the BendSunset on the BendSunset on the Bend

What's that old saying? Red sky at night... something about delight?
Colorado Bend State Park

Bend, Texas




"Fifty percent chance of rain" Ranger Peggy warned us as we checked in to the campground. Knowing Texas weather, we decided our chances were pretty good we wouldn't see any rain at all. Or maybe a brief shower but that would be it. My girlfriend Sativa and I trekked on to the most primitive of campsites, Sativa in her dainty sundress and beach hat, and me in my utility pants and Timberland boots. (No wonder she got all those looks from those guys back at the HQ.)



It was about a mile-long hike to the primitive camp but worth every step. The site was secluded and provided a beautiful view of the Colorado River. We felt elite, being the only two campers to tackle the hiking and the hauling of all our necessaries. With a glow of superiority and a song in our hearts we set up our camp.



The next day was a hiker's dream - cool, cloudy and completely free of rain. Her tent-pitching skills and fashion sense now well-established, Sativa then proved her ability to navigate trails. We hiked across rocky terrain
Miss Sativa, camping divaMiss Sativa, camping divaMiss Sativa, camping diva

Don't let her looks fool you, she can hoist up a tarp and nail down a tent with the best of them.
for 3 miles or so until we found our prize - Gorman falls! Even though they weren't at full force, the falls were mossy and magnificent. We paused for some snacks, told a few jokes about ex-boyfriends and then moved on.



For kicks we visited Bad Bob's Bend Store which I believe is the only store in the little town of Bend. A shame, actually, because what if you need something besides bait, t-shirts and jerky? Not wanting our visit to go to waste we stocked up on jerky, used Bad Bob's Bathroom and continued our adventure.



We fueled up for the hike to the Springs with a hearty lunch of turkey wraps and fruit salad. So it was a little disappointing to find that our trail was wide, flat and grassy. Like a carpet. Not a rock or hill in sight. I mean, they should label the trail "wheelchair accessible" for crying out loud. Eventually, however, we found some tricky patches as the trail took us over slippery rocks and muddy grass before becoming completely impassable. We shrugged it off and decided to relax by one of the big blue spring-fed pools. Even
Les in BootsLes in BootsLes in Boots

Not quite as elegant but I get the job done.
caught a brief ray of sunshine.



Thoroughly satisfied, we trekked back to our primitive home where we dined on chicken chili. We spent the evening sipping vodka and discussing everything from professional hair models to timeshare sales techniques to the act of regurgitating pork chops through one's nose. A pleasant evening, indeed.



At some point during the night I slipped out to visit the virtual Ladies Room and noticed a good bit of fireworks in the sky. "Heat lightning" they call it - silent but brilliant. By 7am the rain was pouring, the lightning was crashing and the thunder was booming. With no hope of the rain stopping completely, we gritted our teeth and rolled up a bunch of muddy, soaking wet camping gear. That managed, we loaded it onto our backs and trekked the mile to the truck through mud, rain and lightning. We fantasized about the breakfast in store for us in nearby Lampasas at the Yum Factory restaurant. Coffee. Eggs. Pecan waffles.



Once back at the parking area, we toweled ourselves off in the bathroom shack and I pulled out whatever dry clothes I could find. They were
Rollin' On The RiverRollin' On The RiverRollin' On The River

We loaded whatever we could onto our trusty cooler.
baggy and semi-clean, but they felt like heaven. Sativa emerged wearing a smartly coordinated ensemble topped off with a jaunty chapeau. I should have known: camping with Sativa brings 100% chance of style.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

All the comforts of home...All the comforts of home...
All the comforts of home...

...including Jenga, red wine and girlish gossip.
Real estate with a viewReal estate with a view
Real estate with a view

We overlooked the Colorado River and all its wildlife: blue heron, white bass and even the occasional herd of cows.
We've earned it!We've earned it!
We've earned it!

Enjoying the rewards of our labor.
Things that go bump in the nightThings that go bump in the night
Things that go bump in the night

Sativa checks the tent for any potential threats.
Hiker's ParadiseHiker's Paradise
Hiker's Paradise

Big rocks and steep trails down to the falls.
Proof that we made itProof that we made it
Proof that we made it

After many botched attempts to automate the camera and perch it on some rocks, we finally got our shot.
Bad as you wanna beBad as you wanna be
Bad as you wanna be

Bad Bob's claims to have Everything You Need Almost. "Almost" is the key word there.
Brand new spikesBrand new spikes
Brand new spikes

New cactus growth on the way to the springs.
Bubbling brookBubbling brook
Bubbling brook

This lively little stream feeds the springs.
Last one in buys drinks!Last one in buys drinks!
Last one in buys drinks!

The friendly swimming hole at the Springs.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb