The trip back to Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Surat Thani
February 6th 2006
Published: February 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I'm pretty weary at the moment so if this lacks oomph please excuse me!

We head off the day before yesterday from Ko Phangang on the boat and was due to leave at 12 and promptly pulled out at 1:30 the trip was the perfect legth to enjoy 2 movies before landing in Surat Thani, which is merely a jumping off point on the mainland for island hoppers. The path is so well oiled that you are neatly herded to appropriate areas for connecting bus based on the colour of the sticker on your shirt. We got to our 5:30 train 10 minutes late but no worries - nothing leaves on time and around 6:30 we were on our way. We got a sleeper this time wish was relative comfort compared to the trip down on the night train in 'reclining' seats but not quite what we expected. I was thinking a sleeper was little cabins (kinda like you see on wild west movies) but its 2 narrow seats that fold together to fashion a bed with a curtain to pull across and a bunk folds down to bed a second body above you. It did the trick, I grabbed patches of sleep deep enough to dream and woke up around 8am - 1.5hrs after we were supposed to arrive in Bangkok- and we arrived in Bangkok at 10 (so almost 24hrs in transit). Got ripped off by the taxi (too tired to realise he hadn't put the meter on until half way into the journey - I knew then we were screwed!

Had a chilled out day at the guesthouse, not venturing too far and today we did another 6hr journey to a border town I can't pronounce.
Not touristy at all which is great. Tomorrow we cross into Cambodia. Have heard horror stories about it so I will probably have a colourful entry next time. Am outa time so til next time!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 94; dbt: 0.0737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb