Loi Krathong


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Satun
November 26th 2015
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 6.62, 100.07



Loi Krathong is a festival in Thailand which is celebrated by floating decorated baskets down the river for good luck. It is celebrated on the full moon in the 12th month so dates change each year.

In Satun in Thailand we visited the nearby river which was ablaze with celebrations, there were decorations all around the river, floats made up and everyone was celebrating and enjoying the event. Many were in traditional dress and outfits and taking part in the good luck of floating a basket of flowers lit by candles down the river. It is good luck to add a strand of hair, fingernail and money into the basket before sending it off into the night, sending it off with your thoughts.

It was lovely seeing locals in traditional dress and taking part in the event, there was local music and beauty competitions and I had never seen the river so busy. I bought a lovely basket and sent it off down the river for good luck, hair, nail, money included and enjoyed being allowed in to take part with the locals.

Many people also lit and set off Chinese lanterns from some of the bridges and it was a lovely
evening, here's a couple of pictures but unfortunately I lost my best ones... ahh technology! Here's to good luck!





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb