The perfect island


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Railay
December 6th 2013
Published: January 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

First night at anchor what a fantastic feeling!! So been waiting for it and finally - off we go on our mission to find a place for my birthday - my whole family confirmed they will come, amazing, how lucky am I , so i had better find a great place!

First stop Koh Yai Yah, an island 10 km off phuket - we anchored in the middle on the west side, 3 resorts just in front of us. Maybe that will do?? In the morning we went on shore to check them out! They all got their own budget , from 3 star to 6??? The only problem, there is nothing else, its to far to go and explore unless you have a car , safe anchorage for april, but don't think it will do. Next day we head a bit further down south, more people but way too Muslim, which is ok for some, but not my crew when they wanna be able to go and have a beer here and there.

We hired a scooter for the day to go and check the rest of the island out , couldn't take the dog , no room . Probably a good thing . The place is way too straight, traditional muslims wont drink alcohol or touch dogs!!

Phi Phi next stop- ok now that place is truly amazingly stunning, but.......

We stopped just off monkey beach, anchored in 20m or so of water and went dinghy exploring, hmmmm 10 min later we turned around and grey said , where is INTI going?? I think we dragging. Went for the rescue, all good we didn't move but we also didn't wanna stay there the night getting woken up by the anchor alarm.

Shifted a bit closer to all the action. Headed for the bar's on rising tide. Goodness how many bar's and how many shop's can you fit on one small island??

We had a walk around, could work for my crew to come for a visit , stunning scenery- nice beach- plenty of bar's and shop's to keep them amused. So we have a drink, some weird coco nut cocktail and beer . shifted to another couple of bar's , feeling like hippies in beach seats with "stoned" written on the back . Even the dog's fitted in .

As we headed for the dinghy to go home we came across the fire show, apparently everywhere here. 3rd beer and white wine heading home around 10 pm. Can't remember much else but hugging the bucket soon after arriving back at the boat. Falling asleep to wake up to some very very loud trance music and grey hugging the bucket.

The music stopped about 3am , the next day was definitely not useful for anything but feeling sorry for ourselves , what has happened?? We do believe our drinks got spiked with something. Don't think this place will cut it either for my party , i can't see my parents listening to this very trance music for 2 weeks every night till 4 am !!!!!

Ok third go, Koh Lanta - starting to think the perfect island does not exist. Parked up right on the south and of it. had a great sail across from phi phi - nice to be away from everything and just enjoy the wind and water. Spotted 2 resorts on the beach, which we will have to check out the next day. We been told that they would prefer a house for all of them rather then bungalows, so they can cook for themselves. Not sure why, the food over here is so yummy i will never fathom.

So we go and check it out and see what we can find. Scooter hiring again and off we go, coming across some villages , old Lanta town, wired resorts , snake show's , elephant riding , national parks , real local people and not over stuffed with tourists.



On our way back from our day out buzzing around we even came across the perfect villa's for rent. Gave the nr a call on the advertising and next we stand inside the 4 bed villas with a amazing view over the Andaman sea.There is also some great beachfront hotels, to suit all budgets, plus some interesting bars and restaurants. It's just perfect.

So there it is, Birthday party in Koh lanta , so looking forward to see you all there


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb