Prawn feast at Mai Khao beach


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
May 19th 2015
Published: June 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Additional maps: Untitled

Since I've lived in Singapore for a while, my family took it as encouragement to visit me and see the beauty of south-east Asia by them selves.

First ones to visit were my mum and aunt. The first week we have spent quite intensively: mornings girls stayed in the pool, and were going out in the afternoons in order to visit the most interesting sights and in order to get hungry for the evening feast. Since Singapore is Asian capitol of food, each and every day I tried to show them different cuisine. So we went trough steam boat, Indian naans, palak paneer and butter chicken, Shanghai dumplings, traditional Sichuan cuisine, as well as Singaporeans classics like chicken rice, satays and stingray fish in sambal.

Few months later there was a time for my sister to arrive and I must say: we had an amazing time. First we have spent great weekend in Singapore visiting the Botanic Gardens, Sentosa island and Underwater world and Trick eye museum (sooooo much fun- her little daughters still believe that she actually jumped to the ocean riding orca whale and there is no way to convince them the other way). Though Iza liked the most a little walk we had from Clarke Quay to the Gardens by the Bay in the evening. The walk included amazing Singaporean skyline, light show in the bay, walk on the helix bridge, amazing woodwork exhibition and the light show in the gardens (if you leave Clarke Quay around 7.30 and walk at the moderate pace everything synchronise itself nicely).

The rest of the trip we decided to spend outside Singapore and have chosen Mai Khao beach in Phuket. We arrived in the evening just after an enormous storm and were told that it's raining a lot as the monsoon has arrived wet season has started, therefore imagine our miserable faces. Luckily for us we managed to get the 4 days weather window of sun and sun. And as it was off season most of the places were closed or had only few customers, therefore no crowds at the beach and in the restaurants. Mai Khao is a fairly straight beach close to the airport, facing the Adaman Sea. Because of the monsoon the waves were rather strong and it was difficult to get in or out the water (our hostess warned us the a lot of people get drawn during this season) and the beach was rather trashed by everything washed ashore (quite a strong ecological wake up call) but in the area of the resorts it was nicely cleaned which made a our beach walks adorable. As to the activities- there wasn't much to do there except long walks, reading the books and eating. There were few local restaurants close by, and as you can imagine the food there was absolutely amazing. The amount of prawns eaten within that four day spent there exceeds human limits, but in my defense, I really cannot decide it more delicious were the ones stewed in ginger, sweet and sour pineapples or deep fired in tempura.

One day we spent on the Phi Phi Island trip, which was nice as the rock formations along the Krabi area are amazing and also considered outdoors climbers paradise, though due to the off season waters snorkeling and corals were not even close to the ones in Tioman or Borneo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Mai KhaoMai Khao
Mai Khao

Iza and her pineapple fried rice
Mai KhaoMai Khao
Mai Khao

Sweet'n'sour prawns


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb