Karon & Kata (12-17 Feb 15)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
February 16th 2015
Published: February 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Karon BeachKaron BeachKaron Beach

Blonde sand ambition.
Moving on from the cultural centre of the island back towards the Andaman beaches, I checked out the next two most-developed ones after Patong, namely Karon and Kata, just a few kilometres south of their hedonistic cousin.

Definitely not quite the remote, remote beaches that I somehow made my way to in the Visayas in Central Philippines, but Karon and Kata still rank very highly in terms of quality. The very wide beaches are reminiscent of Kuta in Bali, and the sand so fine and clean that it does indeed actually "squeak when you walk on it" as claimed in the Wikitravel entry. Karon and Kata are lower-key than Patong, and away from the full blast of the package Chinese tourists. They're not quiet beaches by any stretch of the imagination, but do allow some kind of respite from the madness of Patong, whilst concurrently still providing all the necessary amenities for beginner travellers. A very easy stay, and somewhat difficult to tear myself away from...

Stayed at JJ Inn and Kata Centre Inn.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Kata BeachKata Beach
Kata Beach

Just can't get enough.
Wat ChalongWat Chalong
Wat Chalong

Obligatory half-day trip away from the beaches.
Expensive-looking Karon restaurantExpensive-looking Karon restaurant
Expensive-looking Karon restaurant

Where I of course DID NOT eat.
Baby Elephant No.2 Baby Elephant No.2
Baby Elephant No.2

Or is it the same one?
Cat No.3Cat No.3
Cat No.3

Wikitravel calls those tear-shaped prayer blocks the Mangoes of Destiny. (You ask God a yes/no question, toss them, and how they land supposedly tells you the answer) Cat No.3 certainly likes them.
Chalong BayChalong Bay
Chalong Bay

Not much of a beach but the launchpad for boat trips out from Phuket to the neighbouring islands.
Cat No.4Cat No.4
Cat No.4

And the handsomest yet.
Kata GymKata Gym
Kata Gym

No A/C, aging dumbbells and machines, cheap entry. My kind of gym.


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1138s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb