Day 92-93: Phuket, Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
April 29th 2009
Published: April 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Snorkeling Koh PhiPhi 24 secs
The BeachThe BeachThe Beach

from "The Beach"
We added our first little test video to our blog. The editing is awesome (of course ;-) and it features a gorgeous mermaid and her friends. It doesn"t always display properly. We're looking into it. Hope you all can enjoy!

Tuesday, April 28th


At 7:45 we got on a mini-bus that took us to the docks where we got on a huge catamaran for a day-trip to Koh Phi Phi, two hours away. It was a little crowded. We sat reading on the top deck until we neared the islands. It was hard to get a spot to take pictures cause everyone was crowded around the railings.

Without leaving the boat, we briefly saw the beach where they filmed scenes from "The Beach", then moved around the island to a snorkeling spot. Like cattle herded down a chute, we were transferred to a smaller boat which took us the rest of the way. We were relieved to get off that boat. We don't do too well with the tons off people standing on top of us or feeling like sheep or cattle or any kind of herding animal (good thing we skipped India). We concluded that it's much better to pay more (not to say that this little trip was cheap) and get a smaller, more private boat to go to the islands.

Finally in the water! The only crowds here the schools of little green and blue fish, called Convict Surgeon-fish, all around us (see video). They get fed from the boats so they're not afraid of people. They are gorgeous and come right up close. We swam to shallower water for better viz and explored a bit. Saw some new things.

After about an hour we were part of the herd again. We got to the main island and was herded to lunch. Reminded Talita of lunch during high-school athletic tours.

We beat a hasty retreat after lunch to explore a small part of the island on our own. It wasn't anything like we imagined. Kinda like a flea market by the ocean. Expensive. Touristy. Lots of local men yelling "Boat! Boat!" at you. A dive shop on every corner (we were told that they have fixed prices all over the island so there's no point shopping around). There must be nice areas to stay, further away from this tourist trap, but we didn't see any (we found out later that the nice beaches are on the other side of the island! Argh... Well, we'll just have to come back one day).

Joined the herd back on the boat.

We. Won't. Do. This. Again.

We are glad we came here though. It is a beautiful place and worth seeing. It's just that there are probably much better ways of doing it. Maybe if we didn't feel like cattle we'd have enjoyed it more. Next time we'll come with a big budget, get a lovely romantic villa somewhere isolated with it's own private beach, drink wine and have dinner under the stars...

For now we gotta save our cash cause there's still a loooong way to go.

Today's highlights:
1. Snorkeling at Phi Phi Islands.
2. Surviving the herding.


Wednesday, April 29th


We went to the post office this morning to send some packages to SA then visited our favorite bookstore to get some more books. We're taking the day off cause we have three dives tomorrow. We can't wait!

We've been planning our route to- and through Malaysia. Without a purpose or some direction we start to feel "adrift", so it's important to keep looking upward and onward.

We pray every day that God will guide our feet wherever we go and it's awesome to see His hand in our daily lives. We trust that He'll lead us to the right accommodation, scooter rental place, the right dive outfit, airline etc. So far we've been sooo blessed, wherever we go and whatever we do, and we praise our Father for his guiding hands and eternal love. When things don't go as planned there's always a good reason and/or some lesson to be learned.

We're also just totally loving each other! Traveling with your best friend is the greatest! It's even better when you're committed to each other for life. With God by our side nothing can stand in our way, no argument can break us apart. It is spectacular!

The afternoon was spent doing research and catching up with the world. These chill days are as much fun as the busy ones (a little less sweaty though).

We met an Afrikaans couple from Cape Town, Pieter and Liaan that stays in the same hotel. We sat chatting and sharing travel tips and stories till late into the night. It was great to chat with others in our own language.

Today's highlights:
1. Chill day.
2. Meeting Pieter and Liaan.
3. Positive feedback and continual support from friends, family and complete strangers. We love you guys!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Herding...Herding...
Herding...

not all it's cracked up to be...
MermaidMermaid
Mermaid

Hotel lobby
Book shop!Book shop!
Book shop!

We love thee...


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb