A day in Phuket


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
September 14th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After not setting an alarm we both woke up at around 9am to start our full day in Phuket. Eager to top up our tans (and get our clothes washed) we got ourselves ready and wandered the high street looking for somewhere to eat breakfast. We stumbled upon a Thomas Cook recommended guesthouse that served reasonably priced foods and so we thought we would give it a go. Not a wise move....we ended up with greasy croissants and a very sharp coffee. Luckily for the guesthouse I cannot name and shame because I wanted to quickly forget the whole experience. After breakfast we wandered back along the highstreet and dropped our clothes off to be washed.

After a quick detour to the hotel we headed for the beach and set ourselves up on the sand. The weather was picking up, the clouds were being burnt away and the sun was breaking through! The sea looked gorgeous today and we just lazed the morning away listening to the waves and the occasional tout strolling along the beach. The sea was cool but it was a nice escape from the sweltering heat.
Once we had baked ourselves to dehydration we decided it was a good time to stop for lunch and sort our movements out for the next few days. We visited a friendly tourist office to use the Internet to check hotels out on Ko Phi Phi. After help from the staff we decided on a hotel, 'Bay View Resort' and also booked our ferry out to the island. We were going to stay two nights before moving onto Krabi.

After lunch we headed back to the beach where we stayed until the sun began to drift behind a few clouds before sunset. Luckily the sun sets over the sea at Karon Beach so there is a real opportunity for good views and photographs. Hurridly we ran back to our hotel, showered, changed and got back to the beach where we sat on a log and watched the sun set. After a little while we were also joined by 3 faithful dogs that just sat down beside us wherever we moved and watched the sun set with us. It was a full moon tonight and was very peaceful, even a little eerie as the moonlight shone down lighting up the beach. If that wasn't enough the dogs began howling in the light quickly cueing our movement off the beach and into our favourite restaurant. I say favourite, we have only eaten there once before but the service is great and with a smile and the food is excellent too.

After a close game of connect 4 (Rachael wins 3-1.....again! No surprises there then!) we ate our food (Dom had some gorgeous chicken cooked in Palm leaves!) and headed to bed.

We haven't been saying much about the food we are eating so perhaps its worth a comment now. We are trying to eat standard traditional food wherever possible but sometimes the temptation for western food becomes too great. It is normally Pizza that tempts us but in most places it is made fresh on a thin base and so not too bad. The pizzas are normally around 2 pounds each as well! There is also the opportunity to eat lots of fresh fruit from street sellers. We try and stick to pineapple and banana, both fresh and prepared in front of you. Occasionally we sample strange fruits such as dragon fruit just to see what they are like.


Advertisement



16th September 2008

nice to hear from you again
Sounds like you are still having a good time. We we recognise to very tanned people when you get home again? Look forward to the next entry and more pictures. Love Dad (and Mum)
16th September 2008

Laundry!!!!!
I'm back on line now so catching up. Whats with the"Dropping our washing off"? You softies! You obviously didn't listen to my instructions re Dobieing in the shower!!!! Just joking its so cheap you might just as well get it done - no guarantees it will come back the same colour but hey! Continue to enjoy.Love to both.xxx
17th September 2008

Dobeing!
Ha ha ! I do not know what this word means but it sounds funny! We are washing as we go but every so often (more often now) we are only getting cold showers and so washing in cold water means if it isn't dried quickly it smells really bad! Then we make the dash for the launderrettes! But yes it is cheap, perhaps 80p for 1kg....although 80p can but two meals so relatively expensive I guess! C u soon! x x x

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb