Arrival at Phi Phi Don, Paridise!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
September 15th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We left our guesthouse in Phuket at 7am in a minibus already starting to fill up with day trippers who were planning a short visit to the famous islands. We drove to the ferry port in Phuket Town and boarded our cruiser to the island. After a free breakfast we set ourselves up on the sun deck ready for the two hour cruise to the islands. We departed at 8.30am.

The cruise to the islands was fairly uneventful. We mainly just bronzed ourselves on the sun deck until Dom became too sick of the sun and went into the air conditioned cabin below. The boat was large and was transporting atleast 200 people to the island. It had three levels that were above water, one enclosed aircon cabin with lots of seats and televisions showing Mr Bean, one higher deck that was open air but shielded from the sun and one even higher deck that was for all the sun lovers!

After about an hour and a quarter we neared the islands and they began to soar above us in the near distance. Pinnacle of land spurred from the water close by which we negotiated and then veered closer to the cliffs. We were to tour the smaller island of Phi Phi Lay, which is uninhabited, before making our way to Phi Phi Don to moor up. As we neared the island we noticed how clear the water was becoming and how breathtaking the cliffs were. Small longtail boats and cruisers flew past us in the choppy sea and into a bay, Maya Bay from the film 'The Beach'. The bay was so overcrowded it was almost a shame but a good view none the less. After circling the island we entered the bay at Phi Phi Don and moored up on tonsai pier. We grabbed our things and left the boat to be marouded by Hotel and taxi boat touts. Quite a few hotels are only accessible by sea, with the entrances to the hotels facing onto the beach, not a road as you expect in the most places. We however, with a short detour onto a beach and eager to save money were going to walk to our hotel.

Our hotel, "Bay View Resort" was the furthest land accessible resort on the main strip. Far enough away from town to be quiet but close enough to drop in and out for meals as and when we wish. After a shortwhile we made it, checked in and went to our room. I say our room but it was actually more like a Chalet on the hillside facing over the bay. Words cannot do it justice so we took lots of photographs to show everyone. The only pain was that being at the top of the hill meant there were lots of stairs to climb but the hotel staff carried our big bags for us. In brief the chalet consisted of a wooden design with fan and air con, a double bed and ensuite with shower. We had the usual tv, mini bar, safe etc you would expect from a resort. We also had an excellent balcony with views over the bay and two lounger chairs to enjoy the view. We also had two friendly parrot type birds visiting us throughout the stay- probably just for food!

After settling in we headed to the beach of course! We were given two towels and took up our places on the sand with the sea washing over our feet, taking the edge off the heat! We remained there for most of the day.

That night we ate at the hotel restaurant because it had such as great setting. They set up large wooden poles with oil candles in the ends on the beach, fencing off a short section before placing tables out for people to eat their dinner upon. The area was dark except for the candle lit section which meant you really felt although you were far away from everyone, on your own private island, quite romantic!

After dinner we returned to our rooms for some more reading and to cool off. Evening here is still really quite warm even with the sea breeze!

Advertisement



17th September 2008

Paradise
Your description paints quite a picture - what a beautiful spot!x

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb