day 3


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
May 7th 2008
Published: May 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

today: more of the same (when it comes to the soreness). i now walk down stairs BACKWARDS so it hurts less.

it rains about every other day, because the rainy season has started. nothing could be more welcome during training! the sky darkens, the sudden rush of cool air, and before you know it, before you even smell it, fat rain drops are thundering down on the tin roof like a toy drum.

we made use of our shin guards today, with a kick/leg-block exercise. i am VERY glad i purchased these. obviously, i can't use them in a fight, but i can condition my shins slowly instead of breaking my legs in half the first week.

speaking of which: i had lunch at a nearby restaurant and had a chat with bill, a "military contractor" from south carolina. he does odd jobs such as serving as a bodyguard to the US ambassador in places like afghanistan, lebanon, iraq, and kenya. most recently he was in afghanistan for a few years and his truck was blown up. he decided he needed a vacation, so he came to thailand and promptly started muay thai training. he has been training for 2 weeks, and just decided to have his first fight. after 2 weeks! his opponent had trained for over 10 years. he lost (ya think?) and his legs were so badly battered that he can't put any weight on one of his legs. they are both wrapped in ace bandages from knee to ankle, and his feet are blue and purple. he blames his zeal on the fact that he's "'murican".

i really can't get over the interesting people i've been meeting. not at all the genre of people i've usually associated with in the past. it's a great way to dispel stereotypes (or see the nugget of truth in them).

training, so far, has been like starting a really great book. and you know it's a great book, and everyone who sees that you're reading it says, "oh MAN, that is such a good book! you're going to LOVE it!" and you're like "yeah yeah i know, i'm pretty excited..." and you do feel pretty good about yourself knowing that YOU are reading THIS proverbial book, and you know it's GOING to get good, but honestly, right now, it's a little slow. and you would LOVE to just skip a few chapters and peek ahead because the suspense of the latter part of the book is KILLING you, but its currently a pretty tough read, and if you could just peek ahead and see that it fulfills all of your wildest expectations and dreams, you PROMISE that you'll go back and read the rest, you just want to be sure that it's worth the effort because there are a LOT of books in this world, and plus you're a little impatient.

yeah, that is me. re: training.

Advertisement



8th May 2008

this one time, at bandcamp...
So this won't be another entry of "Oh, yes. That reminds me of the time when I was in Burma..." If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you've never watched Magnum, P.I. That was the English chap who had every experience in the world. And I was referring to my previous comments. If you don't get it, keep reading. So, lil' sis, don't forget the most important moment. Right now. That's right. Stop. Take a breath. Look. Listen. Smell. Feel (your legs burning). When you are ready for the rest of the book, it will come. Don't miss the part between beginning and the end. It's just as important as the end. One last thing -- if you're going through hell, keep walking! Keep up with the updates. I'm rooting for you!

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0774s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb