Phuket Town - Meeting up with old friends


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
October 6th 2007
Published: October 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Ko Samui and saying our goodbyes to all the great folk at the Waterfront Hotel, we hopped on yet another flight - to Phuket. We could only get the late flight so we did not arrive in Phuket until 6pm. Benji got in touch to tell us he'd found a little place for us to stay overnight in Phuket Town, about 30mins from the airport and 5 mins from the pier, from which we planned to catch the boat to Ko Phi Phi the following morning.

We arrived in the main square to be greeted by a strapping young black man, who i soon realised was actually Benji! We headed staright for the digs, which were basic to say the least... but at 250Bht a night (about 3.50GBP) you can't complain... well Hels can, but that goes without saying. The hotel could best be likened to an old childrens home, with prison style corridors and some serious damp issues - even our window was like something out of a prison! Although we did have a fantastic view of the 7/11 sign, and an antique telephone which may or may not have worked, i didn't want to risk lifting the reciever to find out!

Not wanting to spend too much time at the digs we headed straight out for some food and a few drinks. It was great to catch up with Benji and swap stories and experiences. He's been here two months now, mostly around the islands this side of the country, whereas we've been on the opposite coast. A few beers later we headed back to the room, but decided to have one more on the steps outside to ensure we would be able to sleep!

We arose early the next morning and, after breakfast, jumped in a tuk-tuk and headed to the pier to catch the boat to Phi Phi. After a couple of hours on the boat we arrived at Phi Phi pier and went off in search of some more appealing accomodation.

Phuket Town is not a place i would recommend, it is only really a place for locals who work at the resorts and overnight travellers waiting for the mornng boat, so anyone who's been feeling a bit jealous looking at our blog.... it's not just elephants, islands and beachfront hotels!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb