Ko Phi Phi - Tsunami Territory


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
October 6th 2007
Published: October 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Ko Phi Phi to find the skies blue and the sun shining. Benji, Hels and I departed the pier with no plans as to where we were going to stay that night, and based on the amount of touts hassling people at the pier it would seem a lot of other people do this as well.

We avoided the touts and found a great little place run by and English girl and her Thai boyfriend, who helped point us in the direction of some decent accomodation. There are no cars and only a couple of scooters on Phi Phi so our bags were to be taken on a little trolley across to the other side of the island. Instead of waiting for 30mins for this to happen (i now call this kind of thing "Thai Time" - if it takes 1 englishman 5 minutes it will take a team of Thais 2 hours to discuss and then complete the same task!) we made our own way to the hotel, taking in the sights and sounds of the little town.

Phi Phi is a tiny place, just a strip between two islands with beach on either side and a small town in the middle, it's nice as it gives it a very small village kind of feel, and it's nice to get away from all the cars, scooters and bikes found charging around on the tiny roads of most other islands. The only form of taxi here is actually the trusty old bicycle. Little thai guys ride around offering "backies" to wherever you want to go!

Once we were settled in we went out to explore with Benji, after quite a heavy night and not such good sleep in Phuket town we kept it a quiet one. A couple of seriously competitive games of Jenga later it was time to retire for the night ready for a big day chilling on the beach. We arose to see the sun was well and truely shining for us, this was a suprise as this time of the year is supposed to be poor weather on this coast. We spent the day chilling out on the beach and in the sea, the bay is very beautiful and shallow for a long, long way out so you can wade out for what seems like miles.

Benji challenged me to
That's some serious JengaThat's some serious JengaThat's some serious Jenga

It didn't fall after this move!
go Wake Boarding with him, and as you can see in the photos he's pretty good. However, in a homage to my short lived teenage flirt with skateboarding, i just couldn't get the hang of it and continuously failed to stand up and when i did i would just fall over... Hels reckons i should stick to golf!
That evening we headed to the all you can eat BBQ - three plates of meat later it was time to hit the local bars and we spent the night drinking and dancing on the beach, i promised i spared a thought for all the lads sitting in the dingy bozzers at home, honestly.

The next morning (or afternoon in Hels case) we cleared our hangovers by floating round in the shallow waters and playing more Jenga and chess on the beach, drinking these great banana, mango and strawberry fruit shakes - very invigorating. We promised ourselves, as we seem to be doing a lot on the islands, that we would get active "tomorrow". With the best of intentions we got up early this morning to head out on a days snorkeling trip, only to find it pouring down with rain! So here we are updating our blog waiting for the rain to stop, we're hoping it will be better weather tomorrow so we can do the trip and go and see Maya Bay made famous by the movie "The Beach". Hels and I are moving on and parting ways with Benji on Monday, it's been great catching up and we hope to do the same again either in Thailand, or maybe Vietnam and definetly in Oz.

We plan to spend Monday night, weather permitting, sleeping on the famous "Beach"... i'm currently being a very stereotypical traveller and reading the book. So it would be great to spend the night there and read a few chapters!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

One hand!One hand!
One hand!

I bet you cant do no hands!
Buckets!Buckets!
Buckets!

Truely lethal - Thai Whisky, Coca-Cola, Red Bull (and that's proper Red Bull, the one that's banned at home!)


8th October 2007

Hey youu 2!!! Looks like your both enjoyin ya selfs... picking up a godd tan dere hels lol!! The view looks amazing and well done at the jenga john (bet you couldn't beat me tho haha!!) Schools okay i supose lol jus anva 6 months n thn im gone. Anyways hope you both well, look after yourselves and ill hopefully see you in a year!! OMG!! ill be 16 (bloodi ell gerrin old nah) Take care. Love youuuu XXXXXX Miss Lauren XXXXXX
9th October 2007

Lauren
Hi Lauren, can you send us your email address, or email hels on carrollhelena@yahoo.co.uk! Thanks for the comments!
15th October 2007

sorry to hear of the tragedy
bob, west midlands

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb