New Home in Phuket


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
February 23rd 2007
Published: March 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our future homeOur future homeOur future home

This is a picture of our new home at Layan Gardens outside Laguna, Phuket
Well a month has gone by since Bea and I have settled down in Ao Bang Tao (Bang Tao Beach) in Phuket. A lot happened in February. The most momentus is that we decided to move forward with our plans to gradually move to Phuket from Kauai.

We are in the process of purchasing a condo in a complex called Layan Gardens (www.layangardens.com) which is just being completed. It is right outside the Laguna resort area of Phuket. Laguna is a large resort area located along Bang Tao Beach. It has five "5-star" resorts along with the Laguna Country Club (previously known as the Banyan Tree CC). It's just about 1 km to Layan Beach, a very lovely little beach.

The decision to move to Thailand is not an easy one, given the love of our home and friends in Kauai. We're obviously influenced by the fact that Sean lives here. But we're equally influenced by the considerably lower cost of living. Health care is the other major benefit. It is both excellent and affordable in Thailand. There are several hospitals in Phuket with very competent staffs. It is a very big change with some significant benefits but a
Night Shot of Layan GardensNight Shot of Layan GardensNight Shot of Layan Gardens

This is a picture of Layan Gardens at night.
lot to get used to.

I've slowly begun to work on speaking Thai. Fortunately, the Thai's are wonderful. Any farang (foreigner) trying to speak Thai get a lot of help. The people are wonderful. It would be wonderful to think I would eventually learn to read and maybe right the language but this is a pretty tall order. Right now, I'd be happy just being able to communicate the basics.

Driving is another challenge. Thailand is "right hand drive" (like England) which is not too big of a deal. But the way the Thai's drive is very different. As a friend here says, "they go with the flow" which is another way of saying, cars and motorbikes are flowing every which way with very little regard for western style driving rules. When Sean gets down here from Chiang Mai, I'll rent a car and have him begin teaching me how to deal with what looks like mass mayhem.

One of the wonderful things about Thailand is the Thai's love of food. You can pretty much get any kind of food here, all at reasonabl prices. You can get pretty expensive meals at the resort (close to western
View from our deckView from our deckView from our deck

This is the view of Layan Gardens from our deck
prices) or eat good quality food very inexpensively at the little local restaurants. Last week, Bea discovered the Asian breakfast from a little delivery wagon which sells for 10 baht (about 30 cents). She loved it! I haven't quite gotten there yet!

Phuket doesn't have the majestic beauty of Kauai's mountains and waterfalls, but the Andaman Sea is lovely. The scuba diving is excellent and one can swim safely at Layan Beach most of the year. The sea breezes definitely help with the heat. The next two months are hottest of the year. Temperatures will reach well into the 90's but so far we've only needed aircon at night. We'll probably give in and use it a bit more when we have an idea how much the electrical bill is.

Our plans are to return to Kauai on May 1 and proceed with the selling of our home. Our move to Phuket will be timed based upon closing our our house. Stay tuned!

Advertisement



3rd March 2007

Happy and Sad
I couldn't help but notice that amid all of the news of exotic foods and flower festivals and beach adventures you wedged in a very sad story. At least it is sad story for those you are leaving behind! Congratulations on your decision! What an adventure!
5th March 2007

no surprise
Hi Bea and Rory: Steve forwarded your email to me so I could see your new place. It looks lovely and having your son there will be a help. Having spent a few weeks in Phuket I know how nice it is, and also understand the traffic. You will both be missed. I wish you good luck in selling your house fast. Diane
6th March 2007

Movin' on down
Well, well...........this move you're about to make comes as no surprise. The place looks gorgeous. We may just have to come there after you're all settled in. But first, we'll see you in Kauai right after you get back.

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb