Selamat Tingle Malaysia, Grab aloada Krabi!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Krabi
May 31st 2006
Published: June 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sunset in LangkawiSunset in LangkawiSunset in Langkawi

From our last night in Langkawi (yesterday).
Up early again, this time the sun was shining, so the perfect day for a boat to Thailand.
We caught a taxi, well it was just a guy in his own car who was offering the same price as a taxi, to the jetty and then waited to be let through to get stamped out of Malaysia.

On the boat we headed up onto the top (the roof) where we found only other westerners, I think the locals thought we were a little crazy, but it was such a lovely day and the scenery leaving Langkawi was beautiful so we didn't want to be cooped up inside.
We had decided that we were going to Hat Yai, just for a night before heading further up the peninsular. However a lady on the boat convinced us to go to Krabi. We weren't going to go Krabi because at the moment the west side of Thailand is in the wet season, but she siad it would be ok.

An hour later we arrived at Satun in Thailand. Next was to get stamped into Thailand. I was worried about border crossings because I had heard about people being planted with drugs, so
Sunset in LangkawiSunset in LangkawiSunset in Langkawi

From our last night in Langkawi (yesterday).
my bag was locked up with it's cover on and then we didn't even have to go through customs or anything!
Straight away we were hounded for taxis, buses, mini buses, change our money! and they really don't listen when you say no. They are so persistent it's crazy!!! Although we now find it all quite amusing and a little bit of a challenge.

We had been offered a free ride with a lady (Donna from the ferry) to the 'bus station', but somehow a crazy non-english speaking french woman had clung onto us and there wasn't enough room, so we did the nice thing and waited for her.
We then headed out to climb on a sawngthaew (a truck with 2 benches inside) we had found out before (so we wouldn't get ripped off) how much it should cost each to get into Krabi town (as it drops you 4km outside of the centre) it should be 20baht each. As it was we were the only 3 people left and it was going to cost us 100 baht for the truck, normally 20 each with other people. So haggled for about 15 minutes over 13 baht and in the end we gave in as it was only 8p we were haggling over . Bearing in mind that 71 baht is a pound!! Well we got dropped off at what was clearly not the bus station. They then told us there is no bus station. Of course we think they are lying to us and think that they have just dropped us off at a tourist office, for the usual commision scam.
As it happens, after Andy did a long walk around, there was no bus station and this WAS the place to get a bus to Krabi.

We bought our bus tickets and at 12.15 (we gained an hour coming to Thailand, I think we are slowly getting our day back that we lost flying to New Zealand!) we were on a nice bus for the 5 hour trip to Krabi. We arrived safely after another hairy bus ride. (I, Melissa, just choose not to look at what is going on infront). Onto another sawngthaew, this time for 20 baht each to get dropped off in the centre of Krabi town. (Everything had gone to plan!!)

We had picked out a couple of guest houses we liked the sound of from the lonely planet (of course) We choose the A Mansion which is lovely! and we have cable tv!!! towels, soap, hot water, air con and toilet paper!!!! All for 3 pounds each!!
After a nice hot shower we went out for some dinner. We ate at May and Mark, very nice (also recommended in the Lonely Planet) Andy had Thai curry and I had chicken and vegetables in oyster suace. We then went and checked out the 2 food night markets. We have decided to eat there tomorrow night, a couple had english writing on their menus, the rest looked like this: แรแ ฟืก พรแ that says chicken and rice! Melissa: ทำสรหหฟ Andy: ฟืกั sorry I am playing with the key board!
After a short walk around we went back to chill in our room with TV!!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Our first SawngthaewOur first Sawngthaew
Our first Sawngthaew

I'm sure this will be the first of many.
TaxiTaxi
Taxi

We forgot to tell you about bobs and fobs in Malaysia. A "BOB" is baby on bike and "FOB" is family on bike.


1st June 2006

I loved Krabi when I was in Thailand. Am sure you know about Railee beach but if you go, make sure you go right round to Ton Sai - it's much nicer. Railee is packed full of hotels etc with not much space to move about. Am very jealous as always to arrive at work and receive your blogs! Keep on having fun.x
2nd June 2006

Where to next?
Hi guys I am leaving Adam today and thought that I might come and find you two.... where will you be on Saturday and Sunday? Send me an email and let me know. Sounds like you having fun! Cara
6th June 2006

Just spent the last half an hour reading all your blogs for the last couple of weeks- i had exams so just caught up now! You sound like you are having an amazing time and your pics are really beautiful- stunning places you go xx

Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 23; qc: 134; dbt: 0.2316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb