Krabi and Phuket


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Krabi
March 23rd 2011
Published: April 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Krabi and Phuket



We left Koh Samui, on a less rocky ferry, and headed for Krabi. Once on the mainland we boarded a bus and headed West, the journey took about 4 hours due to stopping frequently. Once we arrived in Krabi we were dropped off in the middle of no where and took the one taxi, with lots of other people crammed in, into town. We checked into Cosy House, which was very cosy (Will's words!) and began to make grand plans about what we were going to do and see while we were there - Phi Phi, snorkeling, Railay beach...just as the heavens opened!

On our second day we headed out to Ao Nang for a cookery course with Mrs Ya - our rainy day plan. We had a great afternoon making curry pastes - green, yellow, penang and red, papaya salad, coconut chicken soup, pad thai, morning glory and tom yum soup. It all seemed so simple when you had all the ingredients cut up and a freindly helping hand whenever you went wrong!

The next day was our excursion to Railay beach, so we headed to Ao Nang to get a long boat over...and it rained...and rained...and rained. We tried to wait it out in Starbucks unsuccessfully and ended up wet and on a tuk tuk home.

The next morning we moved on to Phuket, hoping the weather would clear up and we could pick up a day trip to Phi Phi from there. After a bit of a shambles morning being put in and out of mini buses we finally got on the road and headed for Kamala beach. On arrival in Kamala the rain started again but in earnest this time. The next three days were spent walking up and down the main street in Kamala beach with out northface jackets on getting very wet - Tory got her nails down, which took her out of any heavy lifting in the future.

One of the rainy days we visited Patong Town and spent the whole day in the shopping mall eating MacDonalds, drinking Starbucks and watching a crap movie (Would not recommend Red Riding Hood). Oh, and we also bought a Notebook computer! Which we now love...more than each other.

Guilty pleasures: stone baked pizza, not getting on a scooter, dvd player in the rain.

What to avoid:
Pad Thai Pad Thai Pad Thai

We were full after the first of our 8 courses
due to flooding the sound of mating frogs outside our room was deafening...but this did lead Will to introduce the Frog Song by Paul McCartney to Tory - so the clouds did have a silver lining!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Papaya SaladPapaya Salad
Papaya Salad

Too hot for either of us to eat
Graffiti ManGraffiti Man
Graffiti Man

Man willingly allows himself to be drawn upon by obnoxious fat children
Arriving in PhuketArriving in Phuket
Arriving in Phuket

After 2hrs of wanting to get out of the van....we had a change of heart.
Need we say more....Need we say more....
Need we say more....

The same week in the UK was 5 suns


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb