Happy New Year


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Krabi
January 5th 2008
Published: January 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Happy New Year and Best Wishes for 2008…..Love from Mhairi and Bruce…………

After returning back to Thailand from Malaysia we headed to Phuket to stay with Justin and Jo. Justin kindly met us at the bus station and it dawned on me that we would be taking a motorbike taxi home. Mhairi rode with Justin - so for her first trip on the back of a bike, she was laden with a bag on her back and front and one in her hand, shorts and t-shirt and in the madness that is Thailand. What an introduction to motorbikes (Mhairi was brave though and clinged on tight to poor Justin!)

The first night we were there Justin and Jo had friends over from the school they work at for a small Christmas party, some of the guys were from the Philippines as is Jo. Karaoke is a favourite past-time in the Philippines so we knew some quality entertainment was guaranteed and Jo’s friend Jimmy did not disappoint, blasting out some power ballads towards the end of the night.

Christmas Eve was spent mostly lounging around on the beach, very different from home. It is very easy here not to even notice that it is Christmas. No stockings to check on Christmas morning but we did manage some turkey and stuffing for lunch. We then visited the Big Buddha in Phuket - this is going to be the biggest Buddha of its type in the world when it is completed at 45 metres tall. It sits high on a hill so already can be seen from all around the area. We got around in Phuket on a scooter which I must say Mhairi took to with more ease than I had expected, even as a pillion she stayed calm on these chaotic roads.

On Boxing Day we headed to Phi Phi Don Island which lies two hours off the coast of Phuket and is regarded as one of the best beach islands in Thailand. We were not disappointed - it was gorgeous there if a little expensive but it was worth going to. We took a boat whilst we were there to visit Phi Phi Lei which is the location of “The Beach” and it looked a lot better than I had been told. We expected it to be a lot more dirty and unkept given the number of visitors but it looked beautiful, if a little busy. On the main island there is still evidence of the Tsunami and the rebuilding going on there from its devastation. I guess the only way to get more money to the people of the island is to visit it and spend money in locally run stores and hotels.

After Phi Phi we headed to Krabi for New Year and we were delighted to be joined by Justin and Jo again. We have had a great time with them both and it was great to see them and spend time with Jo and get to know her. Jo is a great girl and her and Mhairi share lots of quirks that amuse Justin and I. New Year was a great night though some of us drank a little too much. Mhairi nursed me as the Thai whisky mixed with some crazy energy drink proved too much for me. We introduced Jo to the 4 Kings card game as well which was very interesting! The Thais don’t generally make a big deal out of New Year as they celebrate their New Year in April so there was no big countdown….they did manage some fireworks about 10 past 12 though!

We are in Koh Pha-Ngan at the mo which is just paradise except for the bursts of rain! Haad Yao (the beach we are at) is gorgeous - we are getting used to dining on the beach at night and Bruce is enjoying taking pics of the sunsets. Best make the most of it whilst we can!





Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Tapoo IslandTapoo Island
Tapoo Island

The Man with the Golden Gun location


6th January 2008

Happy New Year
All the best Mhairi and Bruce, may 2008 be healthy and happy ! Blog is fantastic Var, lucky, lucky, lucky.! Liked the longtail engine, Sean was impressed lol...x

Tot: 0.356s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0939s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb