Down south on Koh Tao


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
March 19th 2005
Published: May 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Kho San Rd in the rainKho San Rd in the rainKho San Rd in the rain

With a day to waste, we risked a tuk tuk ride to a mall... eeek!
I've been putting off sitting and updating you on my whereabouts! I keep forgetting to update the travelblog, sorry to anyone who's been checking it! When internet is cheaper and speedier, I'll work on sending more piccies... the ones of the island are beeeeuuuutiful!! As always, the level of beauty is impossible to enclose in a photo but at least it gives a jist and supples good memories...

ANYHOO!!

Tuesday night we spent 14hrs on a night train from Chang Mai to Bangkok, then Wednesday we hung around Bangkok IN THE RAIN!! (A tuk tuk is a scary place to be in a flood!)

Wednesday night our journey to Koh Tao consisted of being shuffled onto a mini bus, made to wait round the corner for half an hour for the coach, driven most uncomfortably for 3hrs, having just falled asleep we stopped at a road-side cafe... which re-wakens you... another 4hrs and we're dumped literally by the side of the road (little communication from drivers, never told what's happening etc), before being shoved onto a cattle-transporting type wagon in the early hours of the morning...

Dropped at another make-shift cafe where we figured
Eating street foodEating street foodEating street food

The guy behind us is cooking our food! Next, we almost missed our coach, for the final 8hrs of our 2day travelling spree...
out we had a 3hr wait for the first boat to Koh Tao.... eventually picked up around 6:30am and driven to the port... an uncomfortable 2 and a half hours later we arrive on Koh Tao with the mission of finding accomodation!! Mission finally completed, we headed, as anyone would, to the sandy white shores and crystal clear waters...
Extremely knackered, my loved one tells me on the phone 'this is travelling!!'
It was nice to have a shower after 3 days without! It's not all hunky dory out ere ya know!

The place we originally found to stay (Bans) chose to kick us out when we decided not to dive, so after one night there, we were welcomed at Simple Life. We're metres from the beach and have got a really nice little room so it's all worked out!

All 3 of us have had emotional periods, it's wierd when few people at home understand the lifestyle but obviously it's only been 2 weeks for me so they're suffering worse... seems your insecurities and issues can be somehow amplified out here... Hmmmm all I can do is support.

The mozzies are biting
Transport us!Transport us!Transport us!

Here's what the pick you up & drop you off in, randomly... another 3hr wait until the 1st boat from Champhon to Koh Tao...
less, the sun is blazing more and the lotion is being applied regularly (Mummy!)... it's hard work having to cool off in the sea every 5mins during bathing sessions!
And the wierd thing is the way the sea isn't freeeeezing when you step into it!! Cousins, it reminds me of our sea sessions to the floating pontoon... but it's like being in a salty bath!!

I have also ventured out with my goggles - intending to swim, but finding myself watching millions of varieties of tropical fish amongst the coral... within metres of the shore!!!!! Beautiful - makes me wanna dive more!

Oh, this is the diving island by the way. Nat and I considered it, but she has come down with a chest infection and it would mean leaving Kat on her own, so I'm gonna start a 4-day course the day they leave (Friday 25th March) as they fly to Sydney on 27th.

Wednesday 23rd is Kat's birthday so we're planning a few mini treats for the princess!!

Ummm... last night we took to the beach bars... sooo crazy standing at the bar...but you're on the beach!! And lapping
We Love Koh Tao!We Love Koh Tao!We Love Koh Tao!

Woo here at last!
behind you is the sea!!?? And they dig holes where they place candles and low tables with thai cushions to chill on... with lanterns in the trees... it's all so surreal... once again, pictures don't produce the atmosphere... I wish I had sound on my camera!!

Most people are in diving groups, tho we've spoken to a few... also this means the beaches are pretty empty during the day.... watch this space!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

ParadiseParadise
Paradise

Amazing sunsets, every night.
Licence please...Licence please...
Licence please...

This country has no rules... under age drivers everywhere!
Walked across the Isle...Walked across the Isle...
Walked across the Isle...

20/03/05 Found a cute cafe, little girl and many fish! I spent the afternoon building sandcastles and collecting shells with our new friend!
Relaxing girlies...Relaxing girlies...
Relaxing girlies...

Hammock buddies!
Kat's birthdayKat's birthday
Kat's birthday

24th March... Belly button accessory, new ring, pedicure, manicure & a cake YUM! Oh and a big party! :-)
Saying goodbye...Saying goodbye...
Saying goodbye...

Sad times, but we all have to continue with our adventures and we'll meet again for sure!


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb