Tanote Bay, Koh Tao


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
September 7th 2006
Published: September 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We decided to leave the previous beach resort to spend some time on the other side of the island. This bay is absolutely gorgeous, even more beautiful and quiet than the last one. The water here is so clear and we have gone out snorkelling over the reefs and it is absolutely beautiful. We also went diving and saw a turtle and swam round a little wreck which was cool! Our diving also included a night dive which was a good experience for me.

We are staying in a beach bungalow which is basically a hut with an attached shower room, with a balcony and a hamock it is really lovely and looks out over the bay. However, at night the creepy crawlies come out and we've found cockroaches in our bed and friendly geckos on the ceiling!!

Unfortunately, we've both been ill (especially me!) - and I cut my toe on some coral. Neil had to go into town to buy me antibiotics - over the counter and unlabelled obviously! This does mean I'm edging ever nearer to becoming a size 10!

The journeys here are a bit scary - you ride in the back of pickups
in the seain the seain the sea

I'm sure my mum's got a picture of me like this when I was 5 at Whitby!
and the roads are incredibly steep and bumpy. But that is better than the only other mode of transport - motorbikes! Nearly every person here shows injuries past and present from coming off these death traps; noone wears helmets, the roads are just dirt tracks, a bikini does not offer much protection and you see families of four all perched on one!

The evenings here have been lovely. We have discovered Thai rice whiskey which costs about 1.50 a bottle and claims to be 80 per cent - surely it can't be!? We sit on the beach in the moonlight and it's very romantic! We were sat on the beach the other night when some Thais from next door got so drunk that none of them could stand! Bizarrely, a man in a canoe then rowed on off the sea, picked up the girl and threw her in the canoe. She promptly rolled out of it whilst throwing up! Everyone else there was laughing so much that they couldn't help. The man then popped her back in and rowed off drunkenly!

One thing I find very bizarre in Thailand is the obsession that they have with English football
lounginglounginglounging

Neil loves this hammock!
teams - especially Chelsea and Man U. They know far more than me!

Unfortunately we have to leave this beautiful island and head back up to Bangkok to find work. Apparently the weather everywhere else in Thailand is monsoonal and humid but Koh Tao has amazing weather all year (34degrees and sunny but with a gorgeous breeze).

Hope that going back to work is a pleasure for all the teachers! I keep thinking of you all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



9th September 2006

Footy!
Catherine - no one knows more than you about football surely! Looks absolutely brilliant. Have fun.
9th September 2006

Not jealous really!
Hi Catherine and Neil, Great to read your news, it looks amazing. Weather here been awful in August but September is warm and sunny. Looking forward to reading more about your trip cant believe you are so far away I am sure that beach does look a bit like Whitby! Love Anne xxx
10th September 2006

WOW!
Hi Catherine. Hi Neil. Once again the pictures are amazing. It looks like you're having a wonderful time. I hope you're both feeling better. Back to the grindstone here but you dont want to hear about that!!!! I went over the road the other day- found it really weird not being able to find you Catherine! Enjoy yourselves. Love Bev x x x
11th September 2006

WOW!!!
Howdy you both!! Amazing pictures! It looks really spectacular! That story about the drunken canoeist made me chuckle, especially as it was Beck's hen do this weekend however i think it's pretty safe to say that there were no canoe's in sight! Have a wonderful time and good luck job hunting! (I am not the only one! YES!!!!!!!!. Ha Ha. Adios!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb