Tom continues his hospital tour...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
January 5th 2013
Published: January 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After arriving in Koh Tao Tom was looking a little worse for wear, which in most cases while travelling may be as a result of excessive alcohol but its safe to say this was not normal!

Excessive sweating, severe headache and an aching body, not good... But in Toms case a lack of appetite is when alarm bells start ringing as that really is a cause for concern!



Enough was enough after 5 hours sweating in bed and bringing the patient his third packet of ice for his head and he still was burning up. It would happen on the one night of numerous powercuts, so our worried phone calls home to parents may actually be on par with the excessive hospital bills!

We feared Tom was displaying the symptoms of dengue fever so decided that we should go to the medical clinic to get checked out! The medical clinic after reading his 39 degree temperature decided to keep him in overnight in a room full of Mosquitos...clearly the solution to the problem.



When abroad you would hope contacting insurance would be easy. After being diverted to 3 different people and having to give the same information over and over again...on her mobile, Rach was ready to hit the roof! Not having the usual mode of help at hand... Dad, we began to really appreciate how nice it was to not have to deal with such situations ourselves!! Now to prove we could handle it when the going got a bit tough...

In the morning Tom's temperature was still soaring and we were advised to go to Koh Samui hospital for further tests to determine the cause. Rach had to rush back to the accommodation and pack up our things, at no point in this trip had she anticipated carrying both bags, one on the front, one of the back while trying not to rip the Chinese lantern for Tom's birthday... That's hardcore!

Happy Birthday Tom.... Your days list of fun activities include...

* a really fun boat trip to Koh Samui while connected to a drip





* an ambulance ride to Bangkok Samui hospital

* Numerous blood tests and several 'pee pee' samples

* Hours of waiting in a hospital bed being given no information about what might be wrong and no information about how to follow up insurance





* The best quality of treatment ... Hospital staff recognising it was your birthday by your wrist band and getting a cake personalised for you and singing happy birthday 😊







* Paying 30,000 baht per night to stay in a hospital room ... We could be in the Ritz of Ko Samui living it up like the rich and famous for that!

* Being in starvation mode, unable to eat for 3 days... And worse still not being hungry!! Morgan the Organ is about to be renamed Skinny Minny Morgan!

* Watching Twilight with Thai subtitles from your hospital bed... He loved it really!

* Confirmation that you do not have dengue fever or malaria.... Phew!! But, they don't know what's wrong with you... Great!

Whilst being stuck in hospital for 3 days has not been ideal as have had some funny moments...
* Pee pee samples
* Poo poo samples
* Tom's asking for tips about how to provide a poo poo sample "do I scoop or catch?"
* The great selection of films on our tv.... Not!
* Being so up to date with sky news.... We will be walking newspapers for the next few days!
* Tom's love hate relationship with his drip... Well actually I don't think there's much love there. It beeps constantly, is a pain and the ass to walk with and a hazard when it comes to showering!

Let's hope Tom's tour of hospitals stops here, we've seen quite enough in 2012! 3 days in hospital when we should be in paradise is not ideal!

Thanks to everyone for your concern and comments on Facebook, the birthday cake certainly brightened up the patients day and everything seemed to improve from there!

Here's hoping we get insurance sorted, or our trip to hospital could be at the expense of £1600 .... Jokes!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb