Koh Tao


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
February 23rd 2011
Published: February 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Finally managed to get off Koh Phangan after 5 very long days. The full moon was fun but the island is such a state that I was happy to leave. So at the time of writing I am in Koh Tao, which has become my favourite place straight away and can definitely say that i will be coming back here at some point in the future. The island is tiny but stunningly beautiful and the people are so friendly (polar opposite to koh phangan). Due to the diving here (considered the best in thailand) there is a big community of travelers living on sairee beach in one of the many diving schools. On arriving i had the daunting task of finding cheap accomodation on an island that is known for bungalows and few hostels (only 2) the first hostel was full but i finally managed to stumble into the other and claim the last bed just before several others. And in my dorm i bumped into James, who'd I met and hung out with in Bangkok for a day or two. so that made life a lot easier as he introduced me to the guys that he'd met there and i was quickly invited snorkeling in "shark bay" once their hangovers had worn off. To get around the island the best way is to hire ATV's or scooters so we (5 of us total) hired one ATV and two scooters and headed off to the other side of the island to find shark bay. Several scary hills and rough roads later we arrived and hired the kit and jumped in. The water was filled with the brightest fish and strange coral, including one tiny fish would took an intense interest in Aurie and wouldnt leave him alone. We then ventured slightly further from the rocks and were quickly rewarded when we spotted one shark gliding about a metre below us. This was quickly followed by 4 others all in a little group. They were about a metre and a half long and seemed to be completely uninterested in us or the fish as they just cruised past with schools of fish either side. Having swam after them for a few seconds i did a double take as to what i was doing, swimming after sharks in water no deeper than 2 metres. But the name "shark bay" gave me confidence that they werent interested in me so we carried on until the vanished as quickly and quietly as they had arrived. Having survived the 10 minute journey back to the hostel I headed for the beach to chill out and the others watched some tv. Pretty sure i mastered the art of being a beach bum as a few of the bars have big cushions on the beach so i grabbed one and a beer and watched the divers come back and the sun set over a pretty beautiful beach and a pretty insane day in Koh Tao.
I wish i had longer to stay on Koh Tao as im only here for a day but at least this way i wont get bored here and want to leave. Rather I want to come back.
Heading back to Bangkok today before leaving for cambodia on the 26th and Im nearly finished with thailand.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0156s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb