Stylin and Profilin in the South of Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
October 25th 2008
Published: October 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Well as expected, the blog entries have been few and far between ever since we got to the South of Thailand, which the boys can only apologise for, things here are much much busier than anywhere else they've been so far. Sooooo back to the blogging of Totus Mundus 2008-2009. After a super swell time running through Cambodia the boys managed to get their two flights down to Krabi on the Andaman Coast of Thailand. Krabi itself doesn't offer too much, as it's basically a pitstop for those who are looking to get to Ko Phi Phi, but the boys figured they needed to have abit of a rest before going somewhere different. The first couple days were spent pretty much laying around, talking about the oncoming Edmonton Oilers ice hockey season. The boys also managed to hire a longtail boat out for one of the days and took a trip through the mangroves around the harbour of Krabi, where they saw monkeys, crocodiles, massive lizards and pretty much everything else that you'd expect in a swamp. Anyways, for their last day in Krabi the boys decided that they'd follow the crowds and catch the early longtail boat out to Railay Beach, which unsurprisingly can only be reached by boat. To say that this place was incredible was an understatement. Even after all the beaches seen in Vietnam, Phi Phi, etc., the boys can honestly say that nothing that they've seen so far can compare to Railay, with it's massive limestone hills that look like fjords and it's huge stretch of beach. Even more interesting about Railay was that until the boys went for a walk, there is a second beach on the island there called Tonsai Beach that can only be reached by a improvised rock climb and jungle trek, but it was well worth the effort. Anyways after a couple bottles of Singha the boys headed back to Krabi that evening and got ready to head to Ko Phi Phi where the boys would be meeting Effie, Dave's "friend" from his time in the UK.

Phi Phi was one of those places that we imagined must have been unbelievably impressive before it got opened up to foreign package holidays. Still taking nothing away from Phi Phi, it was an incredible place, full of beautfiul scenery, beautiful people, and a ummm beautiful night scene??? Anyways there wasn't too much to say about the boys first couple nights in Phi Phi, days spent at the beach and nights spent out on the town. Although Effie was working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week as a dive master, she also managed to do a really good job of showing the boys around the town that had become her home over the last 6 months. The third day the boys did something much more interesting and hired out a longtail boat to show them around Big Phi Phi (where the tourists stay) and Small Phi Phi (where no one's allowed to stay). Anyways after being taken to the famous lagoon in Small Phi Phi, it was time for the boys to tick another box off of Mark Hoffmann's list of tasks. With their longtail boat driver being the local guide, the boys made their way up a cliffside on Small Phi Phi to about 22m's above the water, whilst trying to keep two cigarettes and a lighter dry (don't worry it was all for show and the list). Anyways once the boys finally made it to the top of the cliff (supposedly the only ones interested in trying the jump), Dave list his cigarette, and with the encouragement of the many tourists in longtail boats adn speedboats watching from the water below, took the plunge, giving himself a free enema at the same time. Next up was Jord who lit his cigarette, hesitated for a couple seconds then jumped in, showing off superb form in his squawking chicken/straight pencil entry. His bruised feet later that day showed his flawless entry. After the cliff dive, the boys also got shown to the beach (maya beach to be exact) that was used for the famous Leo Dicaprio movie 'The Beach', and to be honest, it was nice, but really wasn't as impressive as we thought it would be, especially when they tried to charge us 10 dollars each just to walk on it. Anyways after another night out the boys had their tearful goodbye with Effie and got the ferry back to Krabi, where they then caught a bus to the Southern Gulf Coast town of Surat Thani, where they caught an overnight ferry to Ko Tao, what a day what a day what a day. Anyways after arriving early in Ko Tao the boys set about in laying on the beach all day. Ko Tao is a very interesting place as it's about what you'd expect from a tropical island, basically massive beaches with a huge mountain/hill in the middle so the town is basically two roads wide but about 5 km's long, it's very hard to miss a bar or restauarant that you've been recommended. Unfortunately though the weather has been bit bad the past couple days, so the boys have resorted to reading books (gross) and watching movies in some of Ko Tao's bars and pubs. And listening to Oilers games on the internet, where Dave's mancrush on Steve Macintyre grows stronger with every game they play. And 4-2's not a bad start is it? We would have taken it at the start of the season. Anyways thats about it, calls are really expensive on the islands so we're gonna have to communicate by email, so please try getting in touch with us. Love and kisses. The boys.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb