And the protests continue!!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
September 7th 2008
Published: September 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sorry about the time....


As you may be aware, it has been a while since we last published a post. We have been busy doing some travelling and finding the time to post has been hard. So here is what we have done over the past 12 or so days.....
We crossed the border of Cambodia the day the protests trying to force the prime minister of Thailand to quit started. We arrived in Bangkok in search of our next destination and adventure. After finding out that people, mainly those who work in the tourist hospitality business, don't like tourists and are at times quite rude, we were anxious to leave Bangkok. We stayed two nights and decided to go to Katchanaburi to see some war museums and check out things in a smaller town. It was a nice place, with friendlier people and lower prices which invigorated us once again. We stayed there four nights in a place with a pool, which was nice on the hot days. Saw some POW camp relics, allied war cemetary, bridge on the river Kwai and other such things. We also were informed that the train service had stopped (all over Thailand) in support of the protests, making our next leg of the trip harder. On to the bus experience.......
We got the local bus going south, which had to connect in Ratchanaburi to go on. No problems until the bus let us off on the side of the highway (8 lanes we had to dodge to get to the other side to catch the next bus). Jodi was PISSED OFF! This was quite weird although a nice lady on the bus aided us flag another bus down and let the driver know where we were going. Thank you mystery woman. Finally arrived in Huahin, to catch our next bus going to the ferry crossing to Koh Tao. 19 hours after setting off from Katchanaburi we arrived on the island of Koh Tao.
After a meeting a nice Dutch couple (Martin and Desiree) we were in search of a dive course (for me...Dan). Jodi chose not to dive.....there may be sharks!!!!! Coral Grand Resort is where we ended up together for my dive courses 1 and 2. If you have never dived before, I whole heartedly recommend it! It is amazing. The course was great and it has made me want to dive more an more, after my feet heal from the fins!
Jodi was nice enough to let me stay to complete my advanced course which now enables me to dive up to 30 metres deep. She has never been so bored of sitting around the beach. She is really getting anxious to work again, I think. So finally finished my course with Martin, Desiree and Philipp (my Austrian dive buddy, who took all the wonderful pics underwater), we were ready to move on (6 days later).
So now we sit in an internet cafe on the island of Koh Samui, trying to figure out how to get to Malaysia with the least hassle. This coup crap has been a real pain in the ass! we are hoping to be in Penang, Malaysia, by tommorrow evening.....in the words of Dana Carvey (Saturday Night Live) " not gonna happen"!

The internet connections are glacial in Thailand (and much more expensive than either Vietnam or Cambodia) - we will try and post photos from Malaysia!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

another bus dayanother bus day
another bus day

This was the beginning of our trip to Koh Tao
groupgroup
group

sitting around for some beers after 5 days of diving courses...Desiree and Martin (Dutch), Tim (US) and Phillip (Austria)


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb