Koh Tao - Koh Phi Phi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
July 17th 2008
Published: July 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Although we really liked Koh Tao, we decided it was time to get moving as we only had 12 days before our flight left Singapore! We checked out of our lovely little hut just before 10am and headed for a relaxed day on the beach. After breakfast we spent the next few hours chatting, reading and generally just watching the world go by! As the day wore on we got hungry once again and headed into the main part of Koh Tao town to visit our favourite sandwich vendor! After picking up 2 very delicious and sticky tuna sandwiches we headed to the beach to enjoy them under the shade of a rather large palm tree.

The day was already drawing to a close and we wondered to ourselves where the time was disappearing to! We slowly ambled back to our resort and watched the sunset before showering and waiting for the temperature to cool. As dusk was setting in, we hauled our now rather large and heavy bags to the pier and dumped them on our boat ready for departure at 9pm. I'm not sure exactly what we expected but the boat was a very old wooden ship with a large deck covered with mattresses. According to the numbers along the walls it was supposed to sleep 70 people but we were both unsure as to how this would actually happen. We left with our bed numbers and headed to a western bar for some beer and a burger both very apprehensive of what to expect on our return to the boat.

On returning to the boat, our worst fears had been realised. The boat had begun to fill up and bed numbers 3-4 were now covered with people spilling over from the adjoining numbers. Ollie managed to lie down but Mark was stuck sitting in the isle wondering what was forthcoming. Luckily, as 9pm drew close, it was obvious the boat was not going to completely fill up and we quickly ran down to the bow of the ship and found some empty beds. Although we felt like we were on a slave ship we were able to spread out and feel far more comfortable. As the engine started and we pulled out of the harbour, the comment from Ollie came: "I wonder when they are gonna give us the oars and tell us to start rowing!"

In the end, all possible disasters had been avoided and we settled in for the long, rough night


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb