Ko Tao - Day 2


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
July 15th 2008
Published: July 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We both woke up far too early with unexpected hangovers. (It later turned out that the beer was mcuh stronger than we were lead to believe!!!). Eventually we dragged ourseleves from our bed and headed for breakfast at the place we had stumbled upon the previous day! It was then that we made the decision to hire a kayak and attempt to paddle around the island or at least some of it! We stopped back at the room for sun cream and to finally use use Ollie's dry-bag. An item he had been carrying for over 5months but had now come in useful. As usual, we set off at the hottest part of the day and the sea was far rougher than we had anticipated. It was not long before we capsized and after laughing very hard we managed to haul ourselves back into the kayak and continue on our epic adventure!

We eventaually made it to the nearby dive island of Ko Nang Yuan and stopped on a small deserted beach. We were both extremely tired but walked around the bay to find quite a crowd of people and some rather hidden accomodation in amongst the rocks and trees. We took a brief walk around part of the island and then grabbed the snorkels we had hired and went for some serious snorkel time. The corals seemed to attract many fish and we were amazed at how many species there were around the bay!

As the first part of the trip had been so tiring we decided to head back to the mainland and re-assess the situation. However, this was not as straight forward as it sounds. At about the halfway stage, we capsized, mainly due to the fact that the boat had filled up with water, but also because Mark had discovered a hidden zip and we had lost balance whilst he was attempting to un-zip it! After all the laughter had finished, we realised the boat was now completely full of water and now 'unsailable'! We dragged the boat to some nearby rocks and spent a while hauling it out of the water. After much slipping and groaning we managed to empty out the water and get back onboard. It was at this point we realised that we had lost one the snorkel sets and flippers. Defeated we carefully made our way back to the mainland and confessed our sins. It was turning into a rather expensive day but we did have a couple of laughs along the way.

We spent the remainder of the day relaxing in a beachside bar and headed out in the evening for what turned out to be a very similar night to the previous one. All in all, a very good, but also pretty expensive day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb