Koh Tao - Our first dive


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
April 7th 2007
Published: April 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We're now in Koh Phangan after spending 3 days/nights on Koh Tao.

Day 1 - Sleep - Finally arrived on Koh Tao about 9:30am or so after a long night travelling by Sleeper train (1st class was fully booked so had to get second class which I thought wuld be bad but it was actually OK) then a bus to the ferry followed by a boat ride and then 5 minutes down to our resort by Taxi/4X4.

We stayed at the Buddha View Dive Resort on the south of the island. It was really chilled out and the rooms were nice and modern. At first we felt a bit out of place as everyone else was really into diving and we were not but we thought we would give it a go so we siged up for a 1 day "Discovery Dive" (Cost 2000 Bht each) for the following day.

Didn't do much during the day, just caught up on some sleep and sat in the shade on the beach day but in the evening we found a restaurant out on the end of a small pier just along the beach and went there for some fresh
Koh Tao - Beach 1Koh Tao - Beach 1Koh Tao - Beach 1

View of our beach on Koh Tao.
fish cooked Thai style and a few drinks. It was really chilled out and relaxing with low tables and cushions on the floor to lie/sit on and relax instead of chairs. This seems to be the case everywhere on our beach.

Day 2 - Our 1st Dive. Group of 8 of us went out together. 4 first timers, 2 instructors and 2 other experienced divers who were the family of one of the beginners. We made it to a depth of 8m which I think is OK for a 1st dive. Saw quite a few fish but to be honest for the 1st half of the dive you are so busy concentrating on breathing and trying to get around that you don't pay much attention to the fish and coral but as we went deeper we really started to enoy it.

We returned to our resort where they put on a great BBQ by the beach with traditional thai food, salad and your choice of fresh fish, seafood, meat, everything you could think of. You just pick what you want and they season it and cook it to order. Its great, and very very cheap. If you are
Koh Tao - Beach 2Koh Tao - Beach 2Koh Tao - Beach 2

View of our beach on Koh Tao.
at the south end of Koh Tao but you are not staying in this resort its well worth going there for the BBQ which gets going about 7pm.

Day 3 - Lobster Day - We thought we deserved a day off from activities and just relax on the beach with a book and get a bit of sun...after just 2 hours on the beech and loads of sunscreen we returned to our room well and truly barbequed and looking like a couple of lobsters. The sun is a lot stronger than you imagine here. We've learned our lesson and have bought factor 1000 sun cream and we now run from tree to tree trying to stay in the shade.

We really enjoyed Koh Tao. It's definitely a place for divers, but we can say that even if you are not divers like us its still well worth going there for a few days. We really would recommend it to anyone.

We are now on Koh Phangan which is different again. We will tell you more in the next blog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Koh Tao - Beach BBQ & BarKoh Tao - Beach BBQ & Bar
Koh Tao - Beach BBQ & Bar

Pic of the beach BBQ and bar area


10th April 2007

Hi again, It all looks so lovely wonderful to think of an empty beach being all yours not like the packed beaches back in Sefton (temperatures currently 18) I don't know how you can stand that heat although you seem to keeping up the fluid intake. Glad to see all the photos and that you are really experiencing all you can. Have fun as Alan said wish we were there.
11th April 2007

Fatso
Sounds like your having a good time. I notice that you mostly talk about food fatso!! Dad said you have emailed me but i haven't got it, don't know what address you sent it to though so try the hotmail address. Have fun and don't get any browner or i'll look like an albino next to you when you get home.
15th April 2007

hello
Well i have to say those journals have made me laugh especially the 1000 factor sun cream and running from tree to tree lol. Were counting the days till you get to us cant wait to see you. Take care and dont be eating too much dog !!! Love Terry and Lisa x

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb