More diving at Similan & Phi Phi


Advertisement
Published: March 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hawksbill TurtleHawksbill TurtleHawksbill Turtle

This beautiful turtle swam around our boat during our rest period between dives. She was just like a puppy fetching each piece of watermelon we threw out to her.
Last week, the whole family, Bea, Sean, Tracy & myself returned to Similan. Bea snorkeled while the three of us dove. Like the trip I did a couple of weeks prior, we had 3 dives on the first day with a 4th dive at night. Then the next day we dove 2 more times before returning to Phuket.

We began our trip at the Yacht Marina on the northeast corner of Phuket. From there the dive boat enters the Andaman Sea through the channel running beneath the Sarasin Bridge. The ride to Andaman was about 2 hours. Pearl Andaman's boat is well equipped for this trip and provides a fast and comfortable way to reach Similan.

Bea and I spent the night in the small bungalows with a fan while Tracy and Sean stayed in a tent. Tracy and I were wonders the next morning. She had not slept a wink on her board-like bed. And I had managed to get a vicious bathing suit rash that forced me to walk around like I was severely saddle sore. I didn't help things during the night by using any cream I could get my hands on to stop the
Octopus with brown coloringOctopus with brown coloringOctopus with brown coloring

This good size Octopus had very effective camouflage. Here she is having just moved off a brown rock.
burning. In the morning, Gerald, the Divemaster, looked at me, laughed, went over to the small store and bought me some baby powder for 15 baht. I'll never dive without baby powder again.

Sean and I took lots of pictures on these dives. The Octopus was one of the largest I've personally seen diving (they're pretty shy so not often seen). He gave us a great display of his ability to camouflage instantly to the background. We also saw an absolutely beautiful Hawksbill Turtle that Tracy got some great pictures of. Like the last trip, the visibility was not as good as it could have been, but the diving was still great. Our favorite dive was the last part of "East of Eden", a beautiful coral garden with tons of small fish.

A couple of days after this trip, a good friend of Tracy's from Boulder, Travis Tharp, visited. He's on an around the world trip and had just come from Saigon to do some diving with us. He missed the Similan trip so I joined him for a day trip to Koh Phi Phi for a couple of dives. We also did this trip with Pearl Andaman.
Octopus with sandy coloringOctopus with sandy coloringOctopus with sandy coloring

The Octopus changed to this modeled sandy color almost instantly when she moved onto a sandy area.
Rather than going out into the Andaman Sea the boat goes south to reach Koh Phi Phi. It's a very beautiful boat ride with a lot of scenic islands. The visibility was not sterling but the dives were fun. The highlight was a cave exploration where we saw lots of lobsters out in the open.

As we returned back to Phuket, the weather was chasing us all the way. We could see the skies darkening and big rain clouds forming. Then as we were within 200 meters of the yacht harbor, we ran out of fuel. We floated there for a half hour as the weather caught up with us. The crew was creative in getting the very last drops of fuel to the engine; just enough to get us into the boat's slip. As we got into the truck, the skies opened up and gave us a sample of what torrential rain Phuket can get. Not unlike Kauai!





Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Mollusk wth teethMollusk wth teeth
Mollusk wth teeth

I couldn't help laugh when I saw this Mollusk. It's coloring made it look like it had a vicious row of teeth. A second later the shell closed.
The BoatThe Boat
The Boat

The boat backed right up to the beach to the site on Similan where we spent the night.
The Dive GroupThe Dive Group
The Dive Group

Here's the group having breakfast the second morning before heading off to our first dive
Lion FishLion Fish
Lion Fish

Sean got this great picture of the Lion Fish.
Family underwaterFamily underwater
Family underwater

Sean, Tracy & I stopped for a photo underwater.
Family on landFamily on land
Family on land

Bea joined us for this picture on Simlan.
Rory & TanyaRory & Tanya
Rory & Tanya

Here's another Rory. They're a great South African couple that is also staying long-term at Club Lersuang and joined us on the Similan trip.
Another  beautiful sceneAnother  beautiful scene
Another beautiful scene

I love these beautiful coral shots.
East of EdenEast of Eden
East of Eden

This beautiful coral garden was at the end of the East of Eden Dive.
TravisTravis
Travis

Travis and I did a day trip to Koh Phi Phi for a couple of dives.
LobstersLobsters
Lobsters

The cave we explored was filled with lobsters. Not quite big enough for dinner but getting there.
Barrel SpongeBarrel Sponge
Barrel Sponge

Ko Phi Phi has quite a bit of these Barrel Sponges.
Name this plantName this plant
Name this plant

I keep forgetting to get the name of this plant...or at least I think it's a plant. It looks like it could be a huge bundle of fish eggs.
Napali CoastNapali Coast
Napali Coast

This is a test picture


25th March 2007

Awesome!!!
What a wonderful family journey. Thank you for the beautiful underwater shots as well as the great shots of you diving band of exploreres. We send you love.
25th March 2007

Underpwater pics
Fantastic!
25th March 2007

You are making Kauai look bad
Could you please dive where there has been some major runoff from a heavy rain. You are killing us!
26th March 2007

Great Photos!
Hi rory and Bea, Thanks for the great shots of your recent dive trip. The scenery and underwater life all look beautiful. It's wonderful that you can have both the kids with you as well. Everybody looks great - tanned and relaxed! Stay in touch, Jim
26th March 2007

cauliflower
that is our answer to the name of the plant. vicarious seems to be the word, so we are doing the same love the pictures SOOOOOO much, especially those talented octopi love you guys, rough life there, but somebody has to do it!!! kay/jon/abby
28th March 2007

Great pics and commentary
When I first came to Kauai I lived more under the water than above...seems that you are taking advantage of visiting the underwater temples as well as those above. Hope to find life similar in Bali. Thanks for your esquite sharing. Makes me drool.

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.091s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb