Snorkelling, Sunbathing and Swimming the Similans


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Similan Marine NP
December 25th 2006
Published: December 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Upstream SunriseUpstream SunriseUpstream Sunrise

Taken from the bungalows while we wait to go to the marina.
Merry Christmas!!!

We just returned from the Similan Islands and plan to pick up my Dad at the airport today and finally be united to have a nice Christmas on the Ko Yao islands.

But going back a few days… From the appropriately named Family Bungalow in Khao Lak, we awoke at sun rise to make our way to the marina, where we prepared to board our live-aboard boat for 3 days. The destination: Similan Islands. These 9 islands are a National Park in Thailand and boast some of the best scuba diving and snorkeling in the world. They lived up to their expectations!

Our boat slept about 18 people, the other patrons were two Swedish families who were very friendly. We made the four hour trip west into the Andaman Sea to the cluster of 9 islands. We explored the islands from north to south, from #9 to #1.

The first day consisted of snorkeling, laying on the deck sun bathing, eating awesome food prepared by the Thai crew (lots of seafood!) and puttering to another island and repeating the aforementioned. The lifestyle was more then ideal. In the afternoon after plenty of snorkeling we set
Morning BeachMorning BeachMorning Beach

The upside of waking up so early - a beautiful sunrise at the beach.
foot on island 8, played some volleyball and did a nice hike up to a view point where we watched the sunset. We then spent our first night at sea, some people slept on the top deck and enjoyed the warm breeze and stars.

Day two was much of the same, we woke up to a tasty breakfast and did a morning snorkel. We headed down to the middle 3 islands, saw some cool sea turtles, octopus, eels, puffer fish, parrot fish and countless others. We moved from bay to bay, stopping to give people the opportunity to snorkel and explore.

We thought that we might try and scuba dive out here, but we were plenty satisfied with snorkeling because the visibility was so clear that we could see everything from the surface. We hung out at the beach on island #6 for most of the afternoon, enjoying the white sand beaches and exploring the island barefoot - I didn’t wear shoes on for 3 days, and loved every minute of it.

Day 3 we moved south to the last few islands, which boasted some of the best snorkeling of them all. Which high hopes of seeing
Crystal Clear WaterCrystal Clear WaterCrystal Clear Water

Snorkelling during our first afternoon at island #9
Manta Rays, Sharks, and maybe Dolphins, I was very excited. We missed the dolphins but managed to see the other two - awesome. At the edge of the reefs we were able to see some bigger fish, they were quite the sight. Jason even did some cleanup as he dove down and hauled up an old lobster trap that was caught up on some coral.
The afternoon was spent snorkeling, and after lunch we reluctantly made our way back to the boat for the last time. After a nice lunch, we buckled down for the return trip to the coast.

The 3 days were tawesome. We returned on Christmas Eve, and spent the night hanging out at our bungalow lisening to Christmas carols on our music players. It’s quite different having a warm topical Christmas, but I’ll get used to it. Today we pick up Dad at the Phuket airport and make our way to the Andaman bay to spend Christmas night and New Years.

Merry Christmas to all!




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Sail RockSail Rock
Sail Rock

Another nice bay, we hiked to the "Sail Rock" and took some great view photos.
Island #8Island #8
Island #8

Taken from "Sail Rock" overlooking another beauty.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

We hung out at the lookout point until sunset, and managed this photo. Our boat is on the right in the middle...
First TracksFirst Tracks
First Tracks

Not in the snow at Whistler, but it was here that I first set foot on the islands.
Paradise VolleyballParadise Volleyball
Paradise Volleyball

Trevor and I take some time out of our... hectic day to play some volleyball.
Island # 6Island # 6
Island # 6

After a hike across one of the islands, we hung out on these rocks for... a while... I have no concept of time since I don't wear a watch.
Swingin' on the SimilansSwingin' on the Similans
Swingin' on the Similans

Here's me monkeying around on a cool rope swing on island #6.
Loungin'Loungin'
Loungin'

Jason and Trevor take a break from laying on the beach and pose for a photo.
Discovery!Discovery!
Discovery!

Jason is the first to emerge from the jungle as we dicover yet another beach on one of the islands.
More beachMore beach
More beach

I had to prove that I had been to this awesome beach, sorry for blocking the view!
Beach FlowersBeach Flowers
Beach Flowers

Against the white sand these flowers really stand out.


25th December 2006

merry christmas you beach bums!
Thanks for all the photos. Hope your beautiful family is all together now and that your mom is healing. Snowing here and tree sales are over! Joye is back in the hospital for pain. Her kidney stone was blasted a few days ago, but they only kept her in overnight. Sure glad your holiday is meeting your expectations. christmas kisses
26th December 2006

Merry Christmas!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS QUAMES!!!...im pumped that you got to complete your scuba. the similans look amazing, and im really jealous you saw a shark!!...look forward to seeing your underwater adventure when you get back. have a wonderful new year and i look forward to seeing you..soon!!! miss you, love you.
26th December 2006

feliz navidad
Hey cuzzes and aunties and uncles, hope that you guys have a great rest of holiday. Den and I are lovin it down in Mexico.. Can´t get much better than sun and surf and sand and chillaxin. Merry Christmas and happy new year, J
26th December 2006

Merry Christmas
I hope the Lush family is having a great time together... "reunited and it feels so good...." lol. Your photos just get better and better. My folks are in town visting for Christmas which is pretty cool. I've got some good news and bad news for you buddy. Bad news is that the T-Bird is no more, she died a rather painful death... at a car dealership, which leads into the good news. My parents got me a new car for X-mas! Its pretty sweet. When you get back we'll definitly go out for a rip around. Drop me an E-mail with some escapades when you get a chance dude. Peace
28th December 2006

who's jealous of who?
you may be enjoying white beaches and tropical weather, but hannah and i are chilling in guelph, ontario. take that! - merry christmas mate.
30th December 2006

no snow in thailand?
Falalalalalalala.. im so happy you had a tropical christmas, i had a snowy one for you instead! Have a fantastic new years eve, we'll all be thinking of you and trev! miss and love you darlin.

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb