Koh Samui – Touristy Thailand or Spain or Portugal or Florida


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
February 4th 2012
Published: February 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ok I’m just going to be honest we really didn’t like Koh Samui….. We stayed on Chaweng Beach, it’s the main beach on the island and you can see why as it is nice and there are a few waves etc. but it’s just too touristy. The second day we moved to a nicer place to sleep for not too much more money called the Loft. It was nice, more like a hotel and we needed that because we hadn’t much time for the town!



The beach strip is around 7km long and it is taken over by resorts. Parallel to the beach is the main road which is again lined for the whole strip with tourist shops/bars/restaurants and is bustling with every westerner possible roaming the streets on their rented scooter or minivans doing collections or drop offs of tourists going on day trips or getting boats. And every few minutes it seemed like the Muay Thai van was blaring its music and spiel about the upcoming fights.



We were there only a few hours and were sure that it wasn’t for us. It is like being in Spain (not that it’s bad but that’s why you go to Spain?) – You actually wouldn’t be able to tell the difference apart from one or two areas with lady boys in the bars! The only reason we stayed where we were was to grab a boat to the full moon party on Koh Phangan on the 7th February!



I’m not going to say much more about it, we did have a relaxing time there but it was overpriced and basically not real Thailand in any form.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb