Samui with Cath, Gilly and Jack


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
July 20th 2008
Published: August 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lynne, Lou and JackLynne, Lou and JackLynne, Lou and Jack

After a hairy drive on the roof!

A holiday from our long holiday



To get to Samui to meet up with Cath, Gilly and Jack (and their mates Chris and Lou), we had to brave one of Thailand's tropical downpours on a small long tail boat from Railay. We got soaked, as did our bags even though we'd bought some nice plastic ponchos that slowly steamed us like one of those microwave meals! It was then just a few hours on to a bus to Surat Thani, followed by a much bigger ferry and better weather to Samui.

It was really great to see everyone. Cath, Gilly and Jack had already spent a few days on Bo Put beach and had moved to a place called the Jungle Club when their mates Chris and Lou arrived. We got a lovely hotel near by called the Impiana and started off a week of relaxation with a birthday meal for Lou.

Samui is very developed, but both of our hotels were in a part called Chaweng Noi, which has a great beach and is a lot quieter. This was great as we spent most of the days relaxing on the beach and in the sea. Jack showed his swimming prowess by powering out to the furthest swimming buoys and it was great just to spend some time mucking about with him.

On one of the days we did decide to do something, we all went on a trip around the island with a company called Mr Ung. This was basically a day tour in the back of a 4x4. It all started very cheesily, as we visited the grand father and mother rocks, which are supposed to look like genitalia (very tenously) and then a crocodile and elephant show. Me and Jack went on an elephant ride and then joined up with the others to see the crocodile show, where nutters slide across wet tiles and put their heads in waiting crocodile mouths. The crocodiles must be drugged we thought, so its all a bit cruel but sort of interesting all the same!

The day really got going though as we started to drive up the interior of the island on dirt tracks. There was enough room on the top of the 4x4 cab for 3 people to sit, so Jack was quick to get up there. He had a whale of a time. The tracks were really steep and really muddy, plus our driver was a maniac, so it felt dangerous (and therefore good fun)! We all had a go on the top, getting hit with branches as you went along. Jack also got his first taste of swimming in a waterfall. It was really, really hot, so we couldn't wait to get in there and it was cool to get bashed around by the water.

Midway through the week, Cath and Gilly moved down to our hotel, so it was nice to catch up over half price cocktails (poor Cath couldn't). This also gave them some time to look at wedding venues for next June and gave us more time to spend with Jack. One night we all went to a ladyboy show at the hotel. Some of them are freakily female! Jack seemed scared by them and Gilly took a liking to one! The best bit was where one ladyboy dressed as half woman and half man. It was unbelievable how realistic this looked!

On the final night we took Jack to watch the Thai boxing and gave Cath and Gilly one night to themselves. Jack had been getting lessons on the beach from some of the blokes that worked at the hotel and had invested some of his baht into Thai boxing gloves and shorts which he wore proudly to the fight. He loved it, particulary the vicious fights. All the Thais were there screaming and betting, so there was a pretty good atmosphere. There were also a few fights between young lads, so a lot of the Thais were asking if Jack was going to get in with all his kit. The look on his face was priceless!

So after a full week on Samui, everyone headed off. Chris, Lou, Cath, Gilly and Jack all flew off to Bangkok and me and Lynne were left on the overnight bus!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb