And so the beach...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
September 9th 2005
Published: September 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Is that really the time? No update since the 27th August? To those who care (yes, both of you), I am sorry. What you must realise is that when one is stuck on a beach in the Gulf of Thailand, one just doesn't have the time to update these blog things.

Anyway, here we are. Maenam beach, northern Ko Samui. We are staying at a lovely place, right on the beach (I can hear the waves gently lapping the shore, in time with the tap tap tap of the keyboard). It's very calm, with a view of Ko Phangan in the distance. We've been here for almost two weeks, but on Sunday we leave for Had Yai and from there Malaysia. Yes, Thailand is almost over and another country awaits. Now would be a good juncture to contemplate on what has been and what is to come, to cogitate on lessons learnt and lessons to be learnt.

But frankly, that would require effort and I can't be arsed.

It's been good here, I can say that. We went to Ko Phangan (or more specifically, Haad Rin) for a day and I am grateful we never decided to stay there. Whilst the beach looks beautiful from a distance, once you are on it, you find yourself surounded by rubbish- little things: fag ends, bottle tops, straws- but it all adds up and that, coupled with the incessant long tail boats coming and going make for a fairly unrelaxing time. There are better beaches on Ko Phangan, of that I am sure, but we had neither the time nor inclination. Maenam suits us fine.

We also hired a jeep for a day, and passed through Chaweng (the main beach on Samui). Having been there 9 years ago, I had some idea of what to expect, but on arrival, I could not put the two pictures together. I had no recollection of ever being there before (maybe I haven't- maybe everything is un-real. Maybe we live...in a Matrix. Wow). It has changed beyond all recognition. Where once there was a dirt road with some huts on the beach side and the Reggae Bar on the other, now there is paved road, luxurious hotels, endless shops and (perhaps most distressingly) Starbucks, McDonalds and Pizza Hut. Maenam has none of these (he says condescendingly).

We also took a day trip to the Angthong Marine Park which sounded good in the brochure (don't they always?). It was actually a complete rip-off- one of the reasons for going was for snorkelling, but the one spot we were allowed to do so was where the coral had died. Not many fish choosing to swim there, funnily enough. Mia and I did walk up a steep path to see an inland lake which was (apparently) used as inspiration for The Beach. Not overly impressed, but maybe I'm too cynical. Mia was more taken with a little boy who was on the boat trip with us.

She has also learnt to swim and loves being in the water. She also has 6 braids in her hair. Jake hasn't learnt to swim, but makes a fantastic car noise, and has no braids.

Claire and I? Well, we're fine, if a little tired. Looking forward to moving on- I think our time here is done. To those who have left comments- thank you. To those who have emailed- thank you too. To those who have emailed and I haven't yet replied- I will. At some point. It's hard, you know, this travelling lark.

PS- Looking forward to (hopefully) watching Arsenal at Middlesbrough tomorrow, and then the commencement of the Champions League on Wednesday. Thought we were damn unlucky losing to Chelski but have to say, only signing Mart Poom on loan is not really going to strike fear in to the hearts of the West London rabble or the Mancs. Still. We'll win, cos we're Arsenal. Apparently. Sorry there are no photos this time, they will come soon. Until then....

Advertisement



9th September 2005

Well what is there to say? Six braids, wow Mia. See what travel does for you. Would be good to see a phot of this. Why no braids for Jake? Maenam sounds good - too late for us all to join you now though unfortunately. Just as we were getting ready to come,too. I'm sure the thought of the tribe descending will ensure you let us know in good time where you will be in the future.... Look forward to the next blog (not to put pressure on you though. I understand how busy sitting on a beach can be.)
9th September 2005

Fantastic
We all love reading about your adventures, sounds like you are having a fantastic time (although not quite in some places). Give Jake the braids he'll look great!!! Claire will email soon, have fun, speak soon. JoX
15th September 2005

Hello to Mia
I have made loads of pictures for you and I miss you! I also miss Jake. I have some purple hairbands as I am starting school on Thursday. Send you another message soon Love IMOGEN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (luckily met Jo in Tuckers and she gave me the web address!! Sounds like you are having a great (and not too stressful time). House still looks OK - have only seen the inmates(!) once Deb)
15th September 2005

(typed by Imogen) thanks for the postcard mia jake claire matt love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx hope wou have a good travel xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
16th September 2005

Comparisons
It is better to have seen the comparisons brought about by time than not to have seen at all, and it is endemic of the travelling (or chattering) classes that for all their talk of getting to see the real deal (like Brentford at home to MK Dons) they also want home comforts. If we were all as brave as yourselves, and voted with our feet, Starbucks etc.. would not survive. Alas, the local populations aspire to the riches we have in abundance, not realising that we are poor in time and simplicity. But (don’t start a sentence with but as it is bad grammar), but, life is all about experience and broadening the mind, there is no better lesson we can teach our children than to experience what this earth has to offer and what a story it has to tell. Never mind the tale when their peers (in their early twenties) bleat on about going on holiday for a couple of weeks to the far east, and the retort is “something I did when my age was in single digits, but how the world has changed”, an old head on young shoulders is a joy to behold, as long as it’s not Victor Meldrew’s. Well done. Oksob. PS.. I’ve been teaching my boys how to make spears and kill wild rabbits down on the farm, they haven’t caught one yet but it keeps them busy for hours, and the knowledge may come in useful one day.
21st September 2005

Happy Birthday Claire
Glad to hear you are all well and having fun. Happy Birthday Claire for today 21st. I hope you have a fun exotic day! Take Care of yourselves. John x
24th September 2005

green with envy
just got the hang of this blogging thing - great to read about your travels and am busy planning my retirement so I can do same. As this is likely to take some time I shall just enjoy reading about your adventures for now! Look forward to hearing more.Get some pictures up - specially ones of Mia in her braids! lots of love from us all...
24th September 2005

Hello all of you! Thanks for adding us to your list of readers. That's a pity about the National Park. (We are sure there must have been floods of tears from Alistar before you left. Was he OK?) So now we are wondering how the Malaysia trip is going...We are back in Japan and start work again tomorrow. That will be a SHOCK! We didn't quite get from your email what the airlinie of choice is for Derby County. Your computer must have timed out before you had a chance to write it. Oh ha dee ha. We hope you continue to enjoy yourselves! Love Hans, Alison and Nicholas
5th October 2005

bonjour Mia et Jake
Hi, I miss you and can't wait to see you again. Love to read you are having a good time out there. Any big, hairy spider...... I've started school and really like it. Made some new friends, not as nice as you, my teachers are strict but friendly. I feel very tired in the evening and make my mummy very cross!!!! as usual. Say Hiya to your mummy and Daddy. Octavia E-mail: robdeb.cheney@blueyonder.co.uk
6th October 2005

hello
hello, just found out how to use this blog thing. I am still in Denmark and matthew and fiona have had a baby, it's going to be called Sofia, so I assume it's a girl. I am running and swimming and start work soon. Take care. I promise to look up this site once a week at least. love Dominic
11th October 2005

she arrived, at last
I see Dom has passed on the good news. Sophia was born at lunchtime on the 5th, a healthy 10lbs 1oz.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb