Life's a beach...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
July 22nd 2007
Published: July 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had big things in mind when we planned a few days in the lower southern Gulf of Thailand. We booked four nights in Koh Samui, thinking we'd take a day to lounge on the beach and try out parasailing, take a day trip to Koh Phagnan (maybe even an overnight to check out one of the infamous 1/2 moon, full moon, or no moon parties?), head to Koh Tao for a day of snorkeling, and make a trip to the nearby An Thong national marine park (setting of the Leo flick "The Beach"). That all changed within minutes of our arrival. Not sure if it was a reaction to travel burnout, as we had just come off two back-to-back overnight trains and a ferry ride, or fatigue from the previous weeks' trekking, but somehow we couldn't manage to tear ourselves away from the beach. We rented a really cute bungalow, set on stilts, and practically opening onto Lamai beach. The next four days were a pleasant blur of sun, sand, swimming in the crystaline and eerily calm bay, shopping, smoothies, and street food. The nights, on the other hand, were spent avoiding the sleezy string of girly-bars on the main road behind the beach and trying to hold in our laughter as male tourists of the drunken European variety awkwardly chatted up the local women. Totally worth the price for living in paradise.

As it got closer to our departure for Malaysia, I have to admit that a bit of travel guilt started to rear its ugly head. I mean, when will we ever get another chance to do the things we'd planned? Thankfully, there's nothing like a $6 thai massage on the beach to chase away negative thoughts. Completely relaxed and a half shade shy of South Indian, we're ready to grab our last Thai meal in Thailand and catch our flight to Penang, Malaysia.

Advertisement



23rd July 2007

South Indians and more.
I'm jealous of your South Indian glow. Let me just say that I consider myself pseudo-South Indian and am currently the color of dirty white laundry (beige), so I hope your tan is more apparent than mine. On another note, your blog entries give me at least 30 min. of leisure reading at the office, so please continue when you get to Penang, which also happens to be the name of one of my favorite restaurants in DC. Loooooove Tasi

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb